Tyres for an ST170

Associate
Hi all,

Sorry for another tyre thread but i've just noticed that one of my front tyres has a puncture!

So i'm now looking for 2 tyres as the other has ~3mm left so I might as well replace both.

What do you guys recommended? I've been looking at Toyo T1-R's as I had them on my last car and liked them. I'm just wary that there may be better tyres out there for a similar price.

I can get the tyres fitted so i'll be ordering online so any recommendations for good websites will also be appreciated.

Budget is around £100 each and the size is 215/45/17.

Cheers!

Soldato
I've Toyo T1Rs on my Focus (215/45/17) at the moment and though they grip well, the sidewalls are a bit soft and they don't wear too well. I'm going to try Kuhmo KU31s next, which seem very well received for the money.

Associate
OP
The Kumho's seem very cheap from Camskill.

So i've narrowed it down to the Kumho KU31's and Falken FK452's. Any advice on which is better out of the two? The Falkens are a tad more expensive but only by a £20 or so.

Soldato
I have the Kumhos and they are awsum, srsly!

They are actually very good for the money, in the Evo tyre test (available online as a pdf) they came within a few % of the goodyears etc in all the tests.

In some tire sizes are massively cheaper than the others. For my car I needed 205/40/17s, the Kumhos were £45 compared to £100 for goodyears. Was a no brainer, bought them, had them fitted, done about 1k on them. Very happy.

I have used T1-S and T1-R before, Yokohama Parada and Avon ZZ3.

They have the grip of the T1-R in the dry, but with a stiffer sidewall, giving more confidence in the car, and seem like they are wearing better also.

For dry grip I would put them Yokohama, T1-R/KU31, T1-S/ZZ3.

In the wet T1-R/KU31, T1-S/ZZ3, Yokohama.

Never had falkens so cant comment.

Associate
OP
I've just ordered 2 Kumho KU31's as they seem to have good reviews all round and there worth a punt for the price! £112 delivered from Camskill!

Associate
OP
Yeh my last car had eagle f1's as standard and I replaced them T1R's. Neither lasted more than 10000 miles!

I'm hoping the Kumho's will surprise me!

Back
Top Bottom