Switching over to SSD on my macbook

Associate
I'm wanting to upgrade my current macbook unibody 4.1's hard disk from its 160GB sata to a 128GB SSD.

I have 2 questions,
1) im not a noob with hardware so is the swapover processes literally plug and play swapping the hdd for the ssd? or does it require firmware/drive locks like an xbox in order to work in a macbook (you know how apple hardware is a ****** to swap around)

2) i upgraded to snow leopard recently, i also have all the relevent leopard and snow leopard installation discs, now do i just re-install the OS and it's done with? or do apple have a 1 machine per OS installation policy like windows and it requires some tinkering, if so what needs to be done?

Sorry for the noob way i asked the questions but up until a few months ago all i ever knew was DOS and windows :) ever since i was a kid lol

Thanks guys.

Soldato
1. Backup with time machine
2. switch drive to new ssd
3. insert snow leopard disk select restore from time machine..
4. an hour or so later (ssd write speed!) it'll restart and it'll be identical to the install prior to the switch out.

I did the above after installing an SSD. Obviously I had enough space on the SSD to take the data.

Back
Top Bottom