Roughly, is this Power Supply enough?

Associate
It's an OCZ StealthXtream 600w and I'm wondering if it could power this system properly under max stress.

Q9550 with 3.4Ghz OC
4GB OCZ Titanium 800Mhz RAM
5850 OC to around 5870 levels
Creative X-Fi Titanium Soundcard
2x 500GB Seagate HDD's
1x Pioneer DVDRW
3x 120mm Fans
1x 40mm mobo chipset cooler :p

I currently don't have the money to upgrade to a new PSU if mine isn't enough but will push to get a Corsair TX750w if it's really necessary, thanks guys.

Associate
OP
Ah, thanks, the main reason I'm asking is because I always seem to have bad luck with my PC crashing for no real reason and such, I don't have that 5850 yet, but with my current card (4890 stock), I seem to get random crashing in certain games like Eve Online.

I thought it was a bad oc at first or something overheating but I ran intel burn test 30 times at one point without issue and below 65c cpu temps and later I ran furmark to make sure the gpu wasn't at fault but it came out fine too, I also tried downloading memtest and running that for a few hours, didn't find anything, even formatted the PC with a clean install of Win7 which still didn't help - so after searching some more I found out that a power supply being pushed near it's limits can cause random crashing in games and other weird stuff so I thought I'd get other peoples opinions.

Other than that I've usually blamed ATI's drivers for any faults I've had as sometimes I notice Windows display a bubble message such as (ati display driver has been reset) just after a fullscreen game crashes and just before the entire PC just locks up and needs restart.

Soldato
A 600W quality PSU is more than enough for that rig.

No need to go any higher. Unless the PSU is faulty, but the only way of testing that is with a multimeter, and even then, you would be unlikely to find a fault!

Man of Honour
600w is more than enough for your rig. My rig in siggy along with a pair of sata ll hdd's, sata dvdrw, 5x fans and a Zalman ZM-MFC2 multifunction controller only draws a max of 274w at the wall and even then only if i run Prime and Fur stability test at the same time. Normal gaming use is 194-228w.

Back
Top Bottom