Project: SmugBox

Soldato
Project: SmugBox - PC Built

Hey Guys,

This Project will be doing up a very cheap case (£10) with spray paint & maybe other mods as well as buying parts to build a cheap but reliable Linux File Server. Unsure on part spec at this moment in time

See Computer Parts pictures i Ordered at the bottom of this thread
AMD Althon II 240 2.8Ghz AM3
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard AM3 - mATX
2x1GB Kingston DDR3 1066mhz
Samsung F3 1TB
Samsung F3 500GB
Liteon 24x DVDRW SATA
2x Silent Sharoon Fans 8.9DB(A)
OCZ Stealth Xstream PSU 500W

i will declare this is my first ever case project attempt (building PC's i've done many times)

one Question before i show you the case in its present state (untouched)

I've noticed the whole front bezel is Plastic do i need special spray paint for this or will the Car spray paint stick ok?

Ok so here is the case
DSC_2990.jpg

DSC_2992.jpg

DSC_2994.jpg

MY Idea for this case is to spray the whole case white expect for the front which will be in black, & the Word SmugBox down the side and on the top in black.

Smug is short way of Smogsy & box refers to a storage box etc...

hope you will enjoy my Project & give advice to my question & ideas on any design improvements i can make. my ears are open :D

Work will commence tomorrow

Last edited:
Associate
....Halfrauds

You got that damn right after what I spent recently :p

Case looks alright, then I saw the photo shot of the rear and I had a serious 'OMG' moment at the quality of the steel, lol!

Good choice for a bog standard File Server though, I would suggest you pay attention to keeping your hard drives nice and cool :)

Soldato
For spraying the plastic, it depends on the material really. I know Halfords car paint sticks well to ABS, but I think it'd be worth scuffing the surface first (high grit sand paper, just roughing the surface up), then following with a plastic primer before spraying.

Soldato
OP
You got that damn right after what I spent recently :p

Case looks alright, then I saw the photo shot of the rear and I had a serious 'OMG' moment at the quality of the steel, lol!

Good choice for a bog standard File Server though, I would suggest you pay attention to keeping your hard drives nice and cool :)

what you expect for £10 :p least this way if i go wrong its only £10 gone :p

Soldato
OP
heres a update, i apparently done it wrong already says my dad but oh well. im sure i can fix it :)

Took it apart
http://smogsy.co.uk/Photography/smugbox/DSC_2998.jpg
got the paint,primer,sandpaper,mask etc
DSC_3002.jpg

heres where i went wrong i used the 600 first i should have used the scot first (apparently)
DSC_3005.jpg

DSC_3006.jpg

DSC_3007.jpg

DSC_3008.jpg

DSC_3009.jpg

this has been done i took this picture to mockup a design for air holes for the front 80mm fan. im thinking of drilling holes in the shape of SB ill photoshop something up for you to see.
DSC_3012.jpg

i was thinking of doing the air flow holes for front inside a SB so where each white dot is a drill hole will be? do you think this will look good?
DSC_3007.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
update:

first coat. i will post more pictures a bit later each part is currently drying inside whilst it rains!
DSC_3082.jpg

DSC_3084.jpg

DSC_3085.jpg

second coat/third
DSC_3086.jpg

DSC_3087.jpg

DSC_3088.jpg

DSC_3089.jpg

Last Coat i think
DSC_3100.jpg

DSC_3092.jpg

any comments?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
pretty much, by the way last coat is third coat, it was just when it was near drying :)

we had the sun on our side, and the paint was dry before we started the next coat so hopefully it will be all well and good.

we have left to harden now, then we can see what needs to be done next.

Soldato
OP
Ordered Parts and now they have arrived.

DSC_3103.jpg

AMD Althon II 240 2.8Ghz AM3
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard AM3 - mATX
2x1GB Kingston DDR3 1066mhz
Samsung F3 1TB
Samsung F3 500GB
Liteon 24x DVDRW SATA
2x Silent Sharoon Fans 8.9DB(A)
OCZ Stealth Xstream PSU 500W

DSC_3105.jpg

DSC_3106.jpg

Soldato
OP
nearly done

Jobs Left:
Get extra extension for CD Drive for Sata Power. (OCZ only come with 1 long wire of 3) :rolleyes:
Laquer the side of the case (both sides)
tidy up cables once again when power cable arrives
tape cables to mobo tray
install Unix.
DSC_3115.jpg

DSC_3108.jpg

DSC_3111.jpg

DSC_3112.jpg

hope you like so far :)

Soldato
OP
finshed, i did however put the backfan around the wrong way. Back fan is sucking in & so is the front :D however as the tempertures are great i'm not to bothered
Fans are running at 980RPM CPU is Running at 400RPM up to 3500RPM (depending on heat)
Average Temperture 32C on CPU & 30C Motherboard
Highest load Temperture so far - 33c on CPU & 32C Motherboard.

DSC_3121.jpg

DSC_3125.jpg

DSC_3128.jpg

LInux:Fedora 12 Samba installed and running :)
DSC_3129.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking good Smogsy! Should get sme drainpipe for that room to run the cables inside though, then paint them the same colour as the wall. :p

I'll be building a low-powered server/NAS this summer I think, it'll probably be Atom powered though.

Soldato
OP
i was gunna go atom but it doesnt seem to render FULL HD well & couldnt find a ITX case that fits mutiple HDD

also after adding everything up this rig actually was about £20 more. and its running Althon II 240 2.8 Dual Core! :D

Back
Top Bottom