Specc'in me new lens

Associate
Hey guys, ive had my Nikon D60 for awhile now stuck with the 18-55mm lens when i bought it. Ive just got paid and i fancy doing some macro/close-up shots. Just looking at some of the OCuK Comp bokeh shots and ive got some inspiration off most of them.

Just doing a quick check on afew webbys, and i see mine requires an AF motor to focus in. But what should i be looking for in a macro lens? I dont really know much about F/stops but i get the just of iso, shutter etc

Ive got £150 to play with.

I was looking at the

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

or

Sigma 70-300mm DL-M-Built-in-Motor-DG f4:5.6 1:2

Both identical but, what peoples personal opinion on make?

Thanks for you time :)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I can only comment on the Tamron (as thats the one I have, but for my Canon) Its not really a proper macro lens and wont compete with a dedicated macro lens. It is mainly a telephoto zoom lens with a macro "tacked on" so to speak.

It can be a little cumbersome in finding focus which can get annoying sometimes, although when it does the pictures come out quite well.

i bought it as a budget zoom lens, and its served me well once you get over the slow focusing, but its not really ideal as a lens solely for macro work.

Associate
Macro shots do not require autofocus; you should always manually focus. I would not buy either of those lenses as neither achieve true 1:1; if you are buying to get the extra reach then get whichever has the motor inside. Personally, I would buy a 50mm 1.8 and get a set of Kenko extension tubes or better still, save up a little more and get a Tamron 90mm, Sigma 105 (or similar).

Associate
OP
Just looking at reviews and the 50mm do have great comments about them. Im also looking at this Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 aswell. Found good reviews on this one aswell, and the price is abit lower.

I dont really know much about kenko tubes, but looking it up i take it, its just a form of magnification to go in macro?

If i got the 35mm and the kenko tubes, would be ok for entry in macro?

Associate
The 35mm won't work very well with tubes as it doesn't have an aperture ring (it'll just stick to it's smallest aperture unless you shove bits of paper in the lever). The 50mm f1.8 does however and can produce great results if you know what you're doing.

Does anyone know if you can meter with the Kenko tubes on a D60?

Back
Top Bottom