• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Xeon x5550 vs. i5 750 2.66

Associate
This may sound like an unfair comparrison, but what are the difference between these chips (apart from £700 of your hard earned cash).

They both seem to have 4 cores @ 2.66Ghz with 8Mb Cache.

The Xeon has 8 threads, not 4. And the Sockets are different.

I'm looking into this for work (Video Editing). A 3rd Party supplier has told me to go Xeon. Why?

Cheers.

Soldato
A more reasonable comparison would be X5550 vs i7 920, as that way they're both 8 threads and the same socket. The only advantage to the xeon chip I know of is an extra qpi link, which allows you to use two of them in a compatible motherboard. The i7 920 is always single socket, X5550 will be fine in a single socket or dual socket board.

If you're considering two of the xeons then they make sense. Serious performance in the workstation, though you pay for it. If its for a single socket board, then I know of no reason to go for the Xeon.

This doesn't mean there isn't other differences, just that I haven't noticed any.

Associate
Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon here, but I'm wondering did anyone try overclocking the X5550 in a single-socket board?

I managed to get one locally pretty cheap, cost me about the same as i7 920, and I'm waiting for the rest of the bits for my next build. I've heard of people using these in X58 boards but I haven't seen any overclocking attempts.

Back
Top Bottom