Trying to re-start a non-booting system (again)

Associate
I thought I would keep trying to get this old system going before I look at spending£400 or £500 on new parts. To re-cap. I replaced my PSU, two case fans, a CPU heatsink/fan and Northbridge fan (with a heatsink). Now all I get on startup is green light on the mobo, HDD spins up along with the case fans and nothing at all displayed. What if I take off the CPU fan/heatsink and run (quickly) without it to see if that is causing a problem. It was a hell of a job to get on (but then I've never done this before) so I was wondering if it was this that was causing the problem in some way shape or form ....... what are the suggestions ....... ?

Associate
OP
ummm it's a few years old now (Asus A8N Sli Deluxe 32) so there is no digital readout. There doesn't appear to be a speaker either so there are no beeps. I have swapped out the video cards and run single, then swapped out the single to count out the video card from being the problem. I have taken out the mobo battery and left it out for 10 minutes then replaced it (the right way). I have taken all the leads and cables out and replugged them to make sure they are right. I've unplugged all the case fans to make sure they are not the issue and I have just got "C" drive plugged in ....

Associate
OP
do I swap out one stick of ram and then if that doesn't work, put the other one in it's place? And how do I check that it was the cpu that is the cause?

Soldato
If you've moved the case at all, check if swapping the GPU's pci-e slot helps, it might have bent it in transit, I had a problem like that after moving my system, took out the gpu and moved it down one and it worked fine.

Associate
OP
swapped the ram to start with ... no go ... swapped the GPU like you said and still no go .... I have also noticed that although everything else seems to be starting the keyboard doesn't light up like it used to ... so is that a sign that the mobo is knackered? It's plugged directly into the USB port on the rear of the mobo ....

Back
Top Bottom