Living with GF - Uni Student

Associate
Just been reading a thread started by Sara and it made me think of this, but i didn't want to hijack...

I'm moving in with my GF who is at Lincoln uni (i'll be moving in over summer, so before her second year begins) and i will be working full time. We're getting an apartment together, just us two. I didn't wanna be sharing with loads of students....1 will be enough for me ;)

Will my income affect her student loan / grant entitlement at all? She already doesn't get a grant as her parents earn over a certain amount. I'm not 100% how it all works having never been a uni student but i thought it might be worth asking in case she gets less money or, strangely, is entitled to more (which is the 'ineducated on student finance' impression i got from saras thread.

4p

4p

Soldato
I'd guess her parents earn more than you, so declaring yourself would actually get her more money..

Best thing to do is ask her to go and see the student support people, ours is called iSite. They will tell you whats what.

Commissario
It shouldn't make any difference at all, I think you only need to state your term-time address and not other tennants.

Soldato
Just been reading a thread started by Sara and it made me think of this, but i didn't want to hijack...

I'm moving in with my GF who is at Lincoln uni (i'll be moving in over summer, so before her second year begins) and i will be working full time. We're getting an apartment together, just us two. I didn't wanna be sharing with loads of students....1 will be enough for me ;)

Will my income affect her student loan / grant entitlement at all? She already doesn't get a grant as her parents earn over a certain amount. I'm not 100% how it all works having never been a uni student but i thought it might be worth asking in case she gets less money or, strangely, is entitled to more (which is the 'ineducated on student finance' impression i got from saras thread.

Again, they will treat your income as joint, just as if you were married. this will effect any means-tested parts of here entitlement to loans/grants and whathaveyou.

I would suggest getting a two bed and stating she is a lodger and pay the tax on the rent you would receive as if this were true to keep them off the scent.

Associate
OP
I'd guess her parents earn more than you, so declaring yourself would actually get her more money..

This is kind of what i was getting at. Once she leaves halls of residence and is 'technically' not being funded by her parents anymore, then she should be able to get more of a loan amount, or a grant, right?

Again, i'm pretty clueless when it comes to uni student finance and i know she'll just stress about it and her parents are even more clueless - so i guess it falls down to me.

Soldato
You will pay council tax she won't, you will claim as if your living on your own because living with Uni students doesn't count.

You being there won't affect what she can get for student loans.

I am working and I live with 4 students.

Associate
OP
What about the grant though? The reason she couldn't get a grant when she started uni is because her parents earn quite a lot of money. If she's living with her bloke, who earns substantially less money, does that not make her eligible for a grant? I assumed this would be the case if they (student finance) class 'girlfriend/boyfriend' status the same as 'married'.

Thanks for the answers btw, it's beginning to clear it up a bit now!

Soldato
Again, they will treat your income as joint, just as if you were married. this will effect any means-tested parts of here entitlement to loans/grants and whathaveyou.

I would suggest getting a two bed and stating she is a lodger and pay the tax on the rent you would receive as if this were true to keep them off the scent.

This is wrong, partners are only treated as such if you're married or the student is over 25.

EDIT: My boyfriend worked for a year before doing his masters and I still had to claim dependency on my parents.

Associate
Won't affect her at all, she doesn't need to enter any of your details on her student loan application. As others have said, it's her parents details that will be taken, not yours. You will foot the bill for the council tax though which is a bit of a pain, she will be exempt.

Associate
Your income has nothing to do with it, she isn't your dependant. It's as if she was living with other students.

I'm a student and live with my full time working GF, only thing you need is her council tax exemption form so you still get single occupancy allowance.

Associate
Not sure she's technically independent from her parents until she is 25. So she probably still has to declare their income until then...

This is right, I turned 25 in Feb and this was the first time that I was eligible for a grant on top of the loan. Previously, despite not relying on my parents, because I was under 25 I still had to declare their income and as a result got nothing. This year being 25 and living with my girlfriend I could declare hers as our household income and so got a grant, only £410 but better than nothing

Back
Top Bottom