Problems with grub (win7 won't boot) on upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04

Associate
Hi

I have just updates Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04RC however on the grub menu (grub 1.98) whilst there is an option to boot win7 it just doesn't work (ubuntu boots fine) all i get is a flashing curser in the top left of the screen.

I think i have somehow borked the grub part of the install - i have had a look at the grub wiki and tried a couple of things but no luck.

Any suggestions on how to fix grub gratefully received

thanks

diss

Associate
OP
thanks lee

am trying your suggestion but have problems

the CD boots very quickly to a screen where i can load an OS or view grub.cfg - but there are no repair options. However i think there may be another option screen before this because i see something flash up (Rescue?). Is this correct and if so any ideas how to stop the boot process at the first menu?

thanks

diss

PS - the options i did have still only booted Ubuntu and not linux

Associate
OP
in the end i have taken a different approach and used the win7 repair utility and win7 now boots - but GRUB needs to be reinstalled

off to the grub wiki now, but if anyone has suggestions for the best/easist way to do this that would be great

thanks

diss

Lee

Lee

Associate
Sorry Diss, I'm a bit of a Linux noob so i can't really help much more. The Supergrub boot disk sorted my problem out about a year ago, but i can't remember how i did it !!

Back
Top Bottom