Aux-drive-belt tensioner failure!

Associate
So - was 2 minutes away from work. Battery warning light came on. No other symptoms, on the motorway. So as a precuation I turned off all lights and stereo/air con etc.

Come off at next motorway exit - engine overheats as soon as I stop at lights. Power steering dies. Luckily office car park is literally yards from the motorway exit so pull into a space right by the gate. Remove engine cover - as I suspect - drive belt sitting on the undertray - tensioner in bits!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So - should I fix it myself or get it towed to a garage? It's sitting in the office car park at the moment! You can see the tensioner in bits!

EDIT> Car is 2001 E46 318i 1995cc

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah

The only toss up is - car is under warranty. However have to pay £70 to get it towed to garage.

How much will it cost me to do it myself? If it's a lot less than £70 I'll just do it - looks fairly straightforward in the Haynes manual. But I think I might need a whole tensioner/pulley assembly and I can't find anywhere in the UK selling that!

It made no horrible noises at all before breaking! Honestly! I'm normally pretty sensitive to odd noises!

Sam

Last edited:
Soldato
I would think the belt and tensioner would cost £70 or more, you'ed need to check though to be certain. If it's under warranty just get it fixed, I don't think you're going to do it for any less than the tow cost really anyway.

Soldato
Thank yourself lucky that the tensioner is in an accesible location.. mine needs replacing and its about 10mm from a solid piece of car.. :\

Back
Top Bottom