Confused about power connections....8 pin?

Soldato
I've got a new mobo: IP35 Pro

Which has an 8 pin connector on it for the power supply.

My PSU: 700W FSP700-80GLN SATA/PCI-E 83%+ Eff Green ATX12v 2.01 OEM

That doesn't have a connector that matches it.

My PSU has a 4 pin connector which I believe I can use.

I'm looking to over clock with this board and I'm wondering if I need some sotr of adapter to get this 8pin connection sorted.

I've bought two from a competitor:

Ones called: Power Cable to 4pin P4 cable (A20GG). This has a single molex to 4pin mobo looking connector.

The other is: CPU to power cable (A50GN). This again has a single molex connector but has an 8pin mobo looking connector on it that fits in my mobo.

My question I suppose is, what the difference between me just using the cable that's already coming out of my PSU and either of these adaptors??

Should I be using the 4 pin adaptor WITH the 4 pin from my PSU to make it have 8 pins coming from two different bits of PSU?

I'm confused! :confused:

Thanks,

G

Associate
I ran my IP 35 Pro with a Hyper Type R 580w PSU, it only had the four pin, did not stop me clocking it to 450/9 = 3600... on air :)

450*9 = 4 GHz :confused:

the current 8pin one should be fine. just plug the central 4 pins into the motherboard, so you have two pins overhanging either side.

Oh god no! Should be two one side, most 8 pin PSUs have a split connector, so its in two halves. Most new boards have a cap over the extra "half" of the connector to make it easier with 4 pin PSUs.

Either way, you should find it will only go in one position provided you dont force it, the connectors are shaped, like a kiddies block/hole puzzle :)

Back
Top Bottom