Buying London Underground Paper Ticket Online?

Associate
Hi,

I have to travel within London on Wednesday. Part of my journey will require using the London Underground.

I believe I am best to purchase one of those paper tickets that allow unlimited travel for that day. I will only require zone 1 + 2 (may travel out to zone 2 at the end of the day to pass some time whilst waiting for my train home; I've intentionally selected a later train to enable this).

Normally I purchase the ticket on the day from one of the ticketing offices, however this has typically been when visiting London for leisure and hence no rush.

On Wednesday time will be more important. I need to get from St Pancras/King's Cross (arriving at 0809) to Paddington by 0857. Normally I'd have thought this would be bags of time, but having never visited London during these hours I thought it would be best to factor in a bit of a buffer.

Ideally I'd like to purchase a paper ticket for the London Underground online - A day pass (peak) for zone 1 + 2. Is this possible? I would like to avoid the Oyster Card option as I do not visit London often enough. Can anybody advise if this is possible, and if so from where?

If this is not possible, can anybody confirm if there should be sufficient time for me to visit a ticketing office at St Pancras/King's Cross during the hours stated to make the connections as above?

Thank you! :)

Caporegime
I assume you are arriving and leaving by train? In which case why did you not buy one ticket for the entire train journey as that includes the underground trip? :confused:

I have no idea where you can get a paper ticket however as I always get it with the train ticket.

Associate
OP
I assume you are arriving and leaving by train? In which case why did you not buy one ticket for the entire train journey as that includes the underground trip? :confused:

I have no idea where you can get a paper ticket however as I always get it with the train ticket.

I purchased the two train tickets individually. This was for two reasons:

1) It was cheaper.
2) Open return was very expensive if I selected it for the whole journey, and I do not know what time I will be finished. I have selected set tickets between home and London and open tickets between London and my final destination. This means that I can spend any free time in London, as opposed to the final destination, which is preferable.

Caporegime
Ah ok, personally i've never found it cheaper to get two sets of tickets and I usually find the open return is the best bargain if you are booking within a few weeks of travel.

Associate
OP
Ah ok, personally i've never found it cheaper to get two sets of tickets and I usually find the open return is the best bargain if you are booking within a few weeks of travel.

I must admit that this was the first time that I have found this to be the case too. It may have been due to purchasing the tickets with four days before travel... Not sure!

Regarding the London Underground ticket, I have seen the machines before... But in others experience am I likely to find those incredibly busy at that time in a morning? I know I've time tabled quite a while between the two trains but I'm still a little concerned that I'll be spending too long at St Pancras/King's Cross trying to purchase my tube ticket. :o

Caporegime
I must admit that this was the first time that I have found this to be the case too. It may have been due to purchasing the tickets with four days before travel... Not sure!

Regarding the London Underground ticket, I have seen the machines before... But in others experience am I likely to find those incredibly busy at that time in a morning? I know I've time tabled quite a while between the two trains but I'm still a little concerned that I'll be spending too long at St Pancras/King's Cross trying to purchase my tube ticket. :o

I've been at those machine at rush hour and it's never more than 5 min, it literally take 1 min to get a ticket (if you know what you are doing), so when you queue, don't stand behind tourists (like yourselves) :p, stand behind men in suits lol

Caporegime
heheh 50 minutes to buy a ticket and go about 5 or 6 stops - even at rush hour you will be fine.

i doubt anyone will be using them pretty much everyone at that time of morning is on travel cards.

Soldato
Possibly get a combined one with your main rail fair like already mentioned. Just ask for the underground to be added on (I think).

At Pancras just walk past all the shops, through the arches, turn left and go down the stairs, then past the ticket offices on the right will be the entrance to the underground. If you turn right and go down the stairs then you want the westbound on the left hand side, if you turn left down the stairs then the westbound will be on your right.

Take the hammersmithy and ****y or circle line to paddington.

Trample on some tourists who fall over and practise your 'tutting' and you'll blend in in no time :D

Back
Top Bottom