Need help buying RAM

Associate
Sorry guys but im a complete Newbie to this

My Mobo supports:
Two 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM slots.
Single Channel DDR2 400/533.

and im planning to upgrade ram to 4gb, which ones would be good to buy budget is £100

Thanks a lot

Soldato
Cool, have a google for "PC2-4200 4GB" RAM. Specifically in a 2x2GB kit. Unfortunately, from what I can see, the price are over £100 for these kits.

What operating system do you currently have and how much RAM is currently installed?

Associate
OP
ok thanks for the help

I have Vista with 2gb ram right now, would i get better performance upgrading to Windows 7 or downgrading to Windows XP?

EDIT: Ok ive found this off amazon, what do you think?
Kingston ValueRAM - Memory - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 533 MHz / PC2-4200 - CL4 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

Last edited:
Soldato
You probably should remove the link and just quote the specs, but yeah - that stuff looks good.

I would also strongly suggest trying to sell your existing 2GB kit, as you should be able to claw some money back by doing that.

As for operating system, I would strongly suggest checking out Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade Retail version). This version gives you all the cool stuff of win 7, it includes the 64 bit version- so you should be able to address all your new RAM and the upgrade licence means you can buy it cheaper than an OEM version and transfer it to another computer if/when you get a new system.

Associate
OP
yeh i think ill upgrade to Win 7, i gotta find out if theres drivers for the 64bit for my hardware, if not then ill stick with the 32bit

had vista for ages now, getting bored of it hehe

Associate
OP
ok ive installed 4GB ram now, im still on 32 bit and it shows that i have 4gb, the bios as well as the OS, my question is how do i know if the OS is using the 4gb or not?

do i have to upgrade to 64bit? or would 32bit use the full 4gb?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom