XBox 360 media streaming - which solution?

Associate
Hi all,

I currently have a WD My Book World NAS streaming media to the 360 using Twonky media server. It works pretty well and very stable but I dont get any fancy stuff like artwork, descriptions etc.. which I'd really like to have.

What do people use here? I keep reading about Windows Home Server as an option, perhaps it could replace my NAS and improve my 360's media options at the same time, but as an OSX user I'm a little reluctant to go down this route. What do others use?

Cheers!
A

Soldato
I use Windows Media Centre... but my view is very basic.. just a directory listing.

There are extended information options is the files have the neccessary sections filled in with the correct information.. and I think you can get it to display Snapshot thumbnails... not sure if you can get that for OSX or if you would need to run thorugh a Virtual server/Bootcamp Windows..

I'd be interested in other easy to implement options tho.. as atm i need my PC on to share the media... running from an external drive would be nice :)

Associate
OP
I use Windows Media Centre... but my view is very basic.. just a directory listing.

There are extended information options is the files have the neccessary sections filled in with the correct information.. and I think you can get it to display Snapshot thumbnails... not sure if you can get that for OSX or if you would need to run thorugh a Virtual server/Bootcamp Windows..

I'd be interested in other easy to implement options tho.. as atm i need my PC on to share the media... running from an external drive would be nice :)

Thanks chap ... I'm installing WHS on a spare laptop to see how it plays with the 360.

Cheers,
Adam

Associate
OP
Well WHS is proving to be a real pain in the butt .. the connector software needs to be installed on Windows and it's having problems seeing the server when everything else sees it just fine ... boy I hate windows so much !!!

Associate
OP
Configure windows media sharing on it. Give the Xbox permissions to access windows media shares.

And then just go to video/music libard jobs a goodun.

http://www.jakeludington.com/xbox/20090313_xbox_360_media_sharing.html

explains how to do it.

WMC is soo flakey its not worth bothing with.

Finally got WMC to work and while very pretty, it doesn't seem to stable - or logical for that matter. Why can nobody get this right ?!?!?

...HTPC here we come I think, ANOTHER remote though :(

Cheers,
Adam

Associate
OP
I gave up on both 360 and ps3 and went down the htpc route :), as for a remove I just use my iphone :)

Out of interest what front end do you use for your HTPC?

I'd like to build a HTPC / NAS multipurpose machine but not sure how practical that is.

Cheers,
Adam

Soldato
I gave up on both 360 and ps3 and went down the htpc route :), as for a remove I just use my iphone :)

I played around with all three last weekend and decided on same thing. The PS3 and Xbox can both be good, but neither is great.

Windows 7 Media center I absolutely loved though. Should have alll my components this week to set up and play with over the weekend! Total cost to me should be about £150 :D

Associate
OP
I played around with all three last weekend and decided on same thing. The PS3 and Xbox can both be good, but neither is great.

Windows 7 Media center I absolutely loved though. Should have alll my components this week to set up and play with over the weekend! Total cost to me should be about £150 :D

Interested to know what you went for!

Out of interest why didn't Media Center on PC, using 360 as an extender work for you?

Cheers!
Adam

Back
Top Bottom