City of Heroes

Soldato
Hey All,

I used to play this game many years ago (with spunj) just wondering if anyone still plays as I am quite tempted to start it up again... my old character might even be there still!! :)

Caporegime
Old characters should be there, you can log into your plaync account and see if your account is still there(should be).

I played a few years ago, resubbed for a month or two again, maybe 3-4 months ago, was still decent, should be at least a few big new things for you to do if you've not logged in for years. New power options for most classes, then the villians part of the game aswell if you fancied buying that and trying it also. A lot of people prefer Villians as things like the mastermind class is pretty damn awesome.

No harm in resubbing for a month though, infact as you get a month free with the game, buying the villians version might be the way to go.

Soldato
OP
I got it off of steam (architect something or other...) and managed to find my old account

My Level 25 Mutant Blaster still in tact - just need some friends now!

Permabanned
There's an open beta going on atm on their test server for the new Dual Pistols power set http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/news_archive/dual_pistols_open_beta_begins.html - US site btw, probably need the EU site if planning to play on the EU server.

Might have a gander over the weekend. Shame the game is dying really, it's much better than Champions Online who knows, maybe the graphics updates etc with the new expansion will revive it a little.

Soldato
I used to play aaaaggeeesss ago - I think I got to about level 45 or so...

I tried a trial about a year ago though and I found that the server I used was very empty :( CoH was all about team work and the community, and sadly it seems to have dissolved :(

Permabanned
Aye, the EU servers died a long time ago. I went back to check out the dual weild for swords a while back and found 5 folks i used to play alongside all the time still playing... were only about 200 other people online lol.

I have an account on the US servers and a couple of them are still quite busy, but i never really found a 'group' to play with all the time if you get me, so it became boring. Doing stuff together and just doing, well, stupid crap and having a laugh was what kept me playing on the EU ones before.

This'll be their first paid expansion since CoV but i hope they do open beta tests for all of it as i don't fancy buying it then finding out no one plays it anymore.

Associate
I used to play this years ago on the US servers way before it came out here in the UK.

Had many long days playing this game until Issue 5 came out which changed all the character builds. :(

I've recently received an email from ncsoft saying that they are having a free play weekend in March for all deactivated accounts, full details here:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/news_archive/double_xp_and_re-activation_we.html

Soldato
I reactivated a months subscription last week for the first time in a year. I've forgotten almost everything! I haven't really spent much time on it, but will pick it up later I think.
I'd switched to warcraft and was wondering why the install sizes are so vastly different. Logging back into CoH made me realise pretty quickly! 1.5Gb vs 15 odd Gb!

Soldato
Holy thread revival. :p

City of Heroes was great. Tried out Champions Online a couple of months ago and as far as I could tell it was the same game but with a different engine and designed for 12 year old Xbox players. :(

Man of Honour
Looks like a nice visual update...

I stopped playing because the EU servers were pretty much dead... as above the game came into its own with the teamwork - solo its just boring...

Caporegime
Was a really fantastic game, still is though simply not enough new content over the years and not really enough completely different powersets to keep playing new alts.

Its been massively lacking graphics wise for years, though some very nice design and area's it really does look very old. Its a shame the replacement wasn't more of the same, similar design style in massively updated engine, similar feel, whole new world and stories. Champs online is just utter tosh though, awful combat, awful style, awful feel fairly poor graphics all told, horrible interface and completely uninvolving and dull. :(

Permabanned
Was a really fantastic game, still is though simply not enough new content over the years and not really enough completely different powersets to keep playing new alts.

2 new power sets being added to the game today with the issue 17 update, Dual Pistols and Demon Summoning. Well, added today if you've pre-ordered the Going Rogue expansion due out in July ish. There's a couple more new ones coming when the expansion hits, Electric Control and Kinetic Melee are the known ones, there may be more. [Edit - scratch that, just watched the PAX video again and on top of those there's a whole new powerset for all 10 basic archetypes - video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1l0-2qqElY]

There are quite a lot of new power sets throughout the different classes, currently i'm playing a Fire/Shield Defense Scrapper, Fire was never for scrappers when i used to play and Shield Defense wasnt in the game. There's a bunch of others like Plant control, Pain domination, Cold for defenders etc etc although granted a lot of them are crossovers from the villain power sets.

Looking forward to seeing how the new Ultra Mode graphics affect the game once the server comes back up in a few hours from the update.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom