• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE OFFICIAL GTX480/470 END USER REVIEW THREAD***

Associate
Just a heads up anyone with a fermi will have issues playing Left 4 Dead 2. It seems steam havent updated their database and the card comes up as unrecognised. L4D2 will boot into the menus but fail to launch into the game. The only way to get l4d2 to run is to put the shaders to medium and then it will work, that is until steam/valve patch their game.

I heard that too, but I had no issues last night at all with it. Yes, I do get the 'card unrecognised' message, but the game ran without a hitch.

Soldato
As you can see high levels of AA make little difference although there is a bug in SF4 or the current drivers as 1680x1050 is slower than 1920x1200 instead of being much faster as less pixels to render :eek: CPU + GPU both @ stock @ all times.

Batman AA xQ16 + Max PhsyX 1920x1200
20gn1w2.jpg

Batman AA No AA + Max Physx 1920x1200
2q2n8np.jpg

SF4 Max gfx except for AA levels as shown in the screenshots.
kb7ymt.jpg

2s81myo.jpg

wjgvfq.jpg

30m4b2r.jpg

2cfs3rl.jpg

246uw5z.jpg

RE5 max gfx. DX9 is much faster than DX10 which is weird as DX10 preloads & caches much more so loading times are instant :eek:
AA XQ16
fnfmyt.jpg

No AA
2d26k5l.jpg

No AA
33mprbq.jpg

AA XQ16
1ru61g.jpg

bee

bee

Associate
so been testing mine for 5 days or so now and my gtx 480 doesn't go above 78c with 70% fan and it only goes that high with games that push it the most like crysis or metro 2033 in 3D vision, games like left4dead 2 or need for speed shift barely get above high 60's

now admittedly for some that's still way too high temp/noise but for me its an almost identical situation that i had with my gtx 260 and from my point of view i can only say that all the stuff said about the cards being wildly hot/noisy is ********

the dual screen thing is still a fairly big issue though, with 60% fan it idles at 65c with dual screen versus 45c with 50% fan with single monitor, that's only 7c more than my gtx 260 but its still pretty bad and when i wanna use the 2nd screen (1080p hdtv) i just use ultramon desktop shortcuts to change primary monitors and disable the secondary to get around the temp issues, but i really shouldn't have to

other than that i'm loving it, every game is now playable in 3D with smooth frame rates and the games i don't play in 3D still fly with large amounts of ssaa forced

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
so been testing mine for 5 days or so now and my gtx 480 doesn't go above 78c with 70% fan and it only goes that high with games that push it the most like crysis or metro 2033 in 3D vision, games like left4dead 2 or need for speed shift barely get above high 60's

wait until we get to the height of summer, it's going to be interesting to see how these cards behave once ambient temps start to climb.

Soldato
wait until we get to the height of summer, it's going to be interesting to see how these cards behave once ambient temps start to climb.

i fail to see how an increase in summer temps (Ambient) would affect a card that already runs at around 50 degrees idle?

if you mean by the hotter air blowing through the card cooler, this means the card temps will be hotter, you are mistaken.

what is important for an air cooled card that is already 50 degrees idle, is the flow of air to dissapate the heat is not inhibited.

and before you say, 'but cold air makes it cooler yeah?' this is true but only too a certain degree, ie 'cold air' wiill definatly pull the tempsd down, but warmer air past a certan point will not make the card run hotter.

bee

bee

Associate
my gtx 260 was practically the same temps and that rose 5c in summer, was quite warm earlier this week too or at least this room was and it levelled out at 78c for 3hrs of metro 2033 in 3D

Soldato
my gtx 260 was practically the same temps and that rose 5c in summer, was quite warm earlier this week too or at least this room was and it levelled out at 78c for 3hrs of metro 2033 in 3D

i rest my case, Mythbusters Temps will rise in direct relation to ambient temps........... busted

:p

the temps will rise so far (not much) and then Plateau.

Associate
re:

i fail to see how an increase in summer temps (Ambient) would affect a card that already runs at around 50 degrees idle?

if you mean by the hotter air blowing through the card cooler, this means the card temps will be hotter, you are mistaken.

what is important for an air cooled card that is already 50 degrees idle, is the flow of air to dissapate the heat is not inhibited.

and before you say, 'but cold air makes it cooler yeah?' this is true but only too a certain degree, ie 'cold air' wiill definatly pull the tempsd down, but warmer air past a certan point will not make the card run hotter.

Totally agree.

Cheers
mrix

Soldato
How come they are so low on re5
DX9 vs DX10 read the benchmarks + am also using max quality gfx as a GTX480 is pointless to buy/use for gaming unless your going to run everything you can @ maximum quality. Play around with the AA transparency settings for maximum image quality then see how much you score vs my results ;)

Permabanned
lol where do you guys live? it never gets hotter than 22c here in the summer and its now 21c in my room so i might have 1c increase during the summer OMG! what am i gonna do? i thought i was in OCuk not OCgreece

Soldato
lol where do you guys live? it never gets hotter than 22c here in the summer and its now 21c in my room so i might have 1c increase during the summer OMG! what am i gonna do? i thought i was in OCuk not OCgreece

and logic will appear like a flash of lightning from the heavens :D and you will bow your head in shame and beg his forgiveness.

lol nice one Duran

Caporegime
Batman AA No AA + Max Physx 1920x1200
2q2n8np.jpg

Just as a comparison here's my 5850 running at 1030/1100 with my £35 physx card (9800GTX+ at 800/2000).

Run at 1920 x 1200 no AA max detail and max physx

Compares quite well and I am quite impressed how well it holds up against the gtx480. I assume that even with a gtx480 you really need a seperate card for physx as I would have expected the gtx480 to whoop me?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Associate

The point is the temps are higher for a longer period of time, meaning heat has time to build up. Are you saying your house/flat never gets any hotter in the summer? You must be air conditioned then!

I tend to see about 5-6c rise in system temps in the summer, so yes, it does make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom