Logitech Harmony Remote query

Associate
Hi, sorry if this isn't in the right section |I wasn't quite sure where to post it.
In short I've just got a Logitech Harmony 515 remote it should be fine to control TV, DVD, etc but my query is whether it would control windows 7 media centre? Do I need a infra-red emitter or an other hardware? (I've tried their site but it says nothing about customer built pc on the compatibility list)

I've got Logitech MX3200 keyboard and mouse set that I think uses infra-red so would that in conjunction with it?

Commissario
The Logitech MX3200 set (I've got one:)) like all of Logitech's Keyboard/mice for the past few years uses a radio (currently I believe blue-tooth) system as IR requires line of site and is not very efficient.

To use the Harmony remote* with a Media Centre PC you'd need a suitable IR receiver for the PC, such as you can get with various Media Centre remotes (you can probably even pick up a receiver with a dead remote cheap if you look around), as I believe the Media Centre controls use IR, then tell the Harmony software to set the remote up as a Microsoft Media Centre remote :) or whatever the brand of receiver is.

*I've had a 555 for a while and love it, they are really flexible, and just bought a couple of 515's for my parents.

Associate
OP
Fantastic thank you for the info Werewolf! :) I'll get browsing for a receiver. I'm guessing the remote is fairly easy to use then?

But how easy are they to program and set up the activities? At the moment I've only got a Samsung TV/Monitor combi and Philips DVD player (+ PC when I get the receiver) to program. So I only need basic activities.

Commissario
Erm, I've really only used my harmy with the basic recommended activities, but it's really easy to set them up, as in general it asks you a series of questions about what devices you want it to use.
About the only "advanced" things i've done is set one of the 515's up to turn the TV over to the right HDMI input for the computer (which basically makes sure the TV is on and on the right input, then allows it to control the volume), and to make my 555 give me the option of stereo or surround when watching DVD's/bluray (basically created a second activity without it using the surround amp), but things like reassigning key functions seems easy enough as it's done via drop down menus.

I've not tried setting one up for media centre controls, but given the option is there in the software I suspect it'll be easy enough to set the remote up for it.

Back
Top Bottom