What was your degree grade?

Caporegime
Working in Engineering i realised that eventually i would need masters level education to get myself beyond a certain level within the company im now working for so opted to study for a masters level qualificaiton straight off

To start work in some sections (especially for a major) you need a degree before you can get a job. If you have 10+ years experience they may not be as bothered about it however. Service industries around the majors however are usually fine with a BSc.

Desmond in Software Engineering (rather than comp sci).. recently an interviewer hadn't heard of "desmonds" before.

I used it from the start and even now it plays a large role.

I have no idea what a Desmond is either, I'm guessing it's not that widely used tbh.

Man of Honour
I have no idea what a Desmond is either, I'm guessing it's not that widely used tbh.

It's the most famous of the nicknames for degree classifications after Archibishop Desmond Tutu but for the record a 1st is usually a Geoff after Mr Hurst, a 2:1 could be an Attila and a 3rd would normally be a Douglas after Mr Hurd. Some of the rhyming slang has been updated but those are probably the most well-known of them.

Man of Honour
First class honours, Computer Science. The blot on my results was a single B - otherwise straight A.

Yes, I was the class swat. :D

That was (ouch) 18 years ago now, and even then a 2:1 was considered the minimum grade for entry to a lot of careers.

Soldato
2:2

Or the drinkers degree as we used to call it at Newcastle Uni. :p

Didnt do me no harm though as I have my great job now, wish I had stuck it a little more (at all actually never really attended, maybe 3 hours max a week) and got a 2:1 more for pride reasons then anything else. As soon as you get a foot in the door I find degrees are quickly forgotten about for actual work experience which most employers prefer (which is my own preference when im recruiting to fill roles in my team)

Associate
2:2 in criminology and Contemporary culture! Graduated in July and a million applications later I'm still jobless (well still working at my part time job + overtime)

I'd say it was holding me back but I don't know a single person who did my degree who have got a related job yet! The public sector job cuts don't make the future look very rosey for me either!!

Soldato
2:2 Grahpic Design. Don't want to do it but am a creative chappy. Recently just secured my self an internship at a great ad agency for 3 months which should be absolutely amazing. Not a full time job yet but the experience should only help me to go on from there.

I managed to get an interview threw my sister in law who knew some chap who worked there and casually mentioned me. Who you know and all that

Associate
In the most openminded way...what on earth is the contemporary culture bit about?

Lol a load of rubbish to be honest! I managed to cut a lot of it out by the final year.

The only bit I can remember was about Tattoos, piercing and body modifications!

it cant have been that hard as somehow despite not going to many of the lectures for that part i always did brilliantly in the exams!

Associate
1st class hons. in a Computer Science degree. Started working at the uni I graduated from as a lead programmer / project manager and now work as an IT consultant for finance in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom