will a Corsair H50-1 water cooler fit on Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P AMD 790X ?

Associate
Anyone know if this cooler will fit this board ok? ive done some google but couldnt find anything linked to this board.

On the back of the mobo there is like a metal plate directly on the otherside of the cpu socket, it looks screwed on but not sure thats why im asking before i go wasting my cash. The plate looks like it protects the little resisters there, so it holds it away from the case slightly or to stop you knocking them off.

any help please.

Soldato
It should, plates on the back of motherboards are usually just the normal backing plate to attach to the CPU bracket that comes on them (at least for AM2/AM3). It should come off, and you'll need to remove the bracket and plate on both sides to fit the H50.

Associate
OP
It should, plates on the back of motherboards are usually just the normal backing plate to attach to the CPU bracket that comes on them (at least for AM2/AM3). It should come off, and you'll need to remove the bracket and plate on both sides to fit the H50.

yeah im guessing there is 4 screws the the socket bracket that i need to remove. ive got the antec 300 case and on the right side of the case if i take the side off, there is a hole there showing the backside of the motherboard it shows like 90% of that metal plate (opersite side of cpu). The other part of the plate is obstructed with the metal casing, its not hanging out if you know what i mean, will i have any probs with the back bracket for the watercooler ?

Associate
Normally you would take the stock bracket off and replace it with the backplate you got with the H50. You might need to take it out of the case unless you have a little window on the motherboard tray. Once the H50 backplate is on you just put it all together.

Associate
OP
Normally you would take the stock bracket off and replace it with the backplate you got with the H50. You might need to take it out of the case unless you have a little window on the motherboard tray. Once the H50 backplate is on you just put it all together.

Yes your right :) I went to the store today and bought one. Ive got it installed now on my machine. So i can confim it fits alright.

temps are down aswell, not sure if they should be lower or what though because on the reviews it was saying temps on a phenom II x4 955 BE 20c idel, mines at 30c now so thats +10 :confused:

anyway thanks for the all comments lads.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Just as an aside, depending on the backing plate you can just use the one that comes with the board instead of using the one from the H50 kit.

I used the plate that was pre-fitted to my ASUS board to fit my H50 and it works fine :)

Associate
OP
Just as an aside, depending on the backing plate you can just use the one that comes with the board instead of using the one from the H50 kit.

I used the plate that was pre-fitted to my ASUS board to fit my H50 and it works fine :)

Thats something i never even thought about :D if you would have said that to me about 2 hours ago you would have saved me an hour or some taking all my board out of my case. :D

I dunno if the screws that come with the cooler will fit though maybe they are thiner or thicker or something. ill have a quick look now.

good tip that though saves removing everything from your case again if your upgrading your cooler and your case hasnt got a nice open panel on the right side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom