Which HD Camcorder?

Associate
Hi Guys,

I fancy a small HD camcorder, ive been looking at the Flip Mino HD and also the Toshiba Camileo S20, both are around the £150 mark, does anyone have either and could give any thoughts on either of them?

Or any Recommendations on others?

Thanks
Jas

Soldato
I have one of the Kodak ZI8s which according to some reviews was the best of the bunch. Not sure about the latest Flip versions though. 720p quality is outstanding on the ZI8 but full 1080p not great unless you use a mini-pod.

Caporegime
Yeah I've been looking myself recently and the only other one I could add is the Samsung U10 but isn't as good in low light.

Ringo I'm after the I8 myself, whats the video format like, does it play in media player?

Associate
OP
Hmm the Zi8 Certainly does look good, it has a much bigger screen than the Flip Mino which is good and 60fps @ 720 does sound as though its superb from the quick reviews / youtube vids ive watched.

Would it be possible for you to link me to a vid you've made on it? Can be anything, just want to test the quality on the TV etc

Soldato
Dannyjo the ZI8 records H264 MOV files which should play back fine in Media player. With the 60 fps mode you can get some nice slow motion stuff as well.

We got some of these in for a project at work and I must say we were very impressed given the price of them. 720p 30 fps gives the best looking footage imo.
The unit is small enough to carry with you all the time, it has an external mic socket should you wish to go for better quality sound and comes with an HDMI cable which you can run straight out of the camera to your tv.

I will have a quick look to see if I have any test footage lying around to upload.

Kodak is also bringing out this which looks like it is basically the same camera in a rugged waterproof shell. I'm quite tempted myself by one of these for fun little gadget.

http://shop.kodak.co.uk/store/ekconseu/en_GB/pd/PLAYSPORT_Video_Camera/productID.170164000

Soldato
Associate
OP
Ringo - Thanks for uploading them, will give them 30 mins or so to finish up'ing.

Rump - That waterproof version looks pretty much what im after as most of the footages im gonna be recording is on boats etc so being able to get the thing completely soaked is a huge positive. Id have to make sure that its the same quality etc but from what i can see i agree it does look like the same camera!

Associate
OP
Ringo - Thanks for the clips, grabbed them now :)

Certainly does look good quality so if the PlaySport is the same internals which I assume it is as it does 720p @ 60fps etc the same as yours.
Really appreciate you going to the trouble of upping them for me so thanks a lot for that.

I think after looking at this im gonna go with the PlaySport unless anyone else comes in with anything better so this has certainly been a worth while thread!

Back
Top Bottom