New Steam

Soldato
When did this new Steam client roll out? Just noticed it today and after a horrific update process, crashing my pc twice, I can honestly say I hate it.

Seems far too fancy for what it is and runs a lot slower than the old version.

Soldato
Been out for a few weeks I think, havent had problems myself but seem to be quite a few people having issues on the steam forums. Hopefully will all get patched up over the next few months and be rock solid again.

Always small mode if you dont like the massive interface :)

Associate
Prettier interface + a few long awaited mechanical features. Don't see the problem people are having, you can make it behave almost exactly like before.

Edit: People just don't like change. Nobody will remember the old interface in a few months.

Last edited:
Soldato
When did this new Steam client roll out? Just noticed it today and after a horrific update process, crashing my pc twice, I can honestly say I hate it.

Seems far too fancy for what it is and runs a lot slower than the old version.

I can honestly say, based on nothing but this post, I hate you :).

Or possibly I could be over-reacting and acting like a bit of a drama queen. And a late one at that :).

Soldato
OP
Prettier interface + a few long awaited mechanical features. Don't see the problem people are having, you can make it behave almost exactly like before.

Edit: People just don't like change. Nobody will remember the old interface in a few months.

Or people don't mind change at all, and what they actually don't like is a steam client that's running considerably slower and with several crashes within the first hour of using it:p

Sure it will all be ironed out but it's a bit of a pain in the neck in the meantime. Weird that mine has only just updated tonight if it's been out for a few weeks. Guess they did a tiered release or something. If that makes me a drama queen then give me my crown:D

Associate
Or people don't mind change at all, and what they actually don't like is a steam client that's running considerably slower and with several crashes within the first hour of using it:p

Sure it will all be ironed out but it's a bit of a pain in the neck in the meantime. Weird that mine has only just updated tonight if it's been out for a few weeks. Guess they did a tiered release or something. If that makes me a drama queen then give me my crown:D

If the client really is unstable then fine, you're not being dramatic at all. But I've had zero issues with it so far, same goes for my friends, and with the disassociation from IE and the implementation of webkit, the store, community and in game browser has seen a massive performance boost. All the other areas seem to perform exactly the same as before.

Not sure how many other people are having performance issues, hope they fix that soon though. I just don't agree with the too fancy statement. Steam is a massive business now, a central hub for millions of gamers. This really does feel more suitable considering that. It just feels less underground and much more community focused. It feels as slick as xbox live, which I think is quite important for the platform.

Also, it's been in beta for a while. I think it only really launched last week, that's probably why you missed it.

Edit: Your sig is my wallpaper :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The only issues I had were because of a custom skin I was using with old Steam. Had to get rid of it and delete the clientregistry.blob file to make it win again.

Soldato
Don't use steam much, I only bought 1 steam game (actually a retail DVD AVP2), the rest came free with a 9800pro 256Mb.

I had to go looking (very hard) on steam's website to download a steam install file because the auto update didn't work, and I was unable to load steam at that point.

Soldato
Don't use steam much, I only bought 1 steam game (actually a retail DVD AVP2), the rest came free with a 9800pro 256Mb.

I had to go looking (very hard) on steam's website to download a steam install file because the auto update didn't work, and I was unable to load steam at that point.

you mean you didnt see the big bright green button on the main page that says "install steam now" ?

Soldato
i looked for about 2 hours a week ago, it wasnt there.

also, so did my housemate the day after.

Yes you have only been able to download steam from the steam site for the last few days, deffinatly wasn't the option last week :p

Got to say i like the new version, it starts a lot faster and looks better. Though i do leave it in small mode

AMG

AMG

Soldato
steam also changed thier website layout also as the "downlaod now" down the side of the page has gone, I think its now under the "about" tab for those who can't find it oh and on the right hand side of the page

I like the way it looks, no issues so far, I had loads of problems getting the old one going, this one just starts up straight after you install it and update it, rather than having to log in 5 times before it works

Associate
I haven't noticed it being any faster or slower, but I quite like the look of it. Can't wait for that blue "new" thing is removed from the top right-hand side. I hate how my eyes are always drawn to that thing.

Back
Top Bottom