**** Original Starcraft 2 Thread ****

The only bug ive noticed recently (and did again tonight) was that i could continue building when i didnt have enough resources. I had 5 gateways, selected them all and made 25 stalkers with about 200 gas and 200 minerals!

My teammate had dropped so i dont know whether i got his gas and mineral share too. How does it work if your teammate drops or gets killed? Do you share their resources or do you have to use it to build stuff with their units/structures?

You get your team mates minerals, gas, supply, buildings and units

Last edited:
Associate
Ok perhaps I judged it a little harshly. Played a few games last night and made it into the silver league where things seem to be a bit more skillfull. I still think that early reaper rushes are a **** poor and somewhat lame tactic however considering I do it 90% of my games (the ones where I play terran) I can't complain :D

Most of my tactics involve whoring myself out really badly and just denying them resources (assuming early rush fails). As I start to encounter people that know how to play a bit more I feel that I should expand my repertoire - could someone link me to decent strat discussions?

Soldato
The only bug ive noticed recently (and did again tonight) was that i could continue building when i didnt have enough resources. I had 5 gateways, selected them all and made 25 stalkers with about 200 gas and 200 minerals!

My teammate had dropped so i dont know whether i got his gas and mineral share too. How does it work if your teammate drops or gets killed? Do you share their resources or do you have to use it to build stuff with their units/structures?

when your team mate drops, you gain all his gas/minerals. however its not shown on the UI, im hoping that they will find a better way of dealing with this in future, as it is slightly confusing!

and you can use their resources (that you can't see) to build units/structures of your own.

Ok perhaps I judged it a little harshly. Played a few games last night and made it into the silver league where things seem to be a bit more skillfull. I still think that early reaper rushes are a **** poor and somewhat lame tactic however considering I do it 90% of my games (the ones where I play terran) I can't complain :D

Most of my tactics involve whoring myself out really badly and just denying them resources (assuming early rush fails). As I start to encounter people that know how to play a bit more I feel that I should expand my repertoire - could someone link me to decent strat discussions?

Reaper rushes arent too bad now it seems people know how to counter them properly now.

if your after strat discussion the best place is probably TeamLiquid. theres forums etc there with different strats/discussions, videos, replays and well, pretty much everything a starcraft player needs :)

Soldato
I introduced Scotty to the dreaded Steps of War 6pool last night and was then good enough to show him how to defend against it (abet badly as I haven't played as protoss in about a month)

never done a 6 pool, does it not rape your economy for pumping more lings?

i always do a 7 pool and managed to get an overlord out afterwards too so i can continue pumping.

either way, 6 pool sounds lethal!

woot now rank 4 in Platinum!

Associate
When people use the phrase '6 pool' what are they refering to? I'm assuming they build a spawning pool 6 seconds into the game?

edit - from the above does it mean building 6 spawning pools!?! this is a stupid question isnt it? Oh well!

Also I played a game last night where toss player came at me with 2 void rays before I even imagined he could have them. As soon as they turned up I quit as it was game over. As a matter of interest I reviewed his build order and he only built his stargate 1 minute before the end of the game and it didnt list the void rays at all. Is this a bug with the beta? I generally like to review their build order when i lose to see what they do, if it doesnt work I might stop :D

Soldato
When people use the phrase '6 pool' what are they refering to? I'm assuming they build a spawning pool 6 seconds into the game?

edit - from the above does it mean building 6 spawning pools!?! this is a stupid question isnt it? Oh well!

Also I played a game last night where toss player came at me with 2 void rays before I even imagined he could have them. As soon as they turned up I quit as it was game over. As a matter of interest I reviewed his build order and he only built his stargate 1 minute before the end of the game and it didnt list the void rays at all. Is this a bug with the beta? I generally like to review their build order when i lose to see what they do, if it doesnt work I might stop :D

Yes, building 6 spawning pools is a stupid question :p It means you have 6 drones and get no more, then wait for 200 minerals and get a spawnign pool. Then wait and use the rest of your supply to get 4 (8) zerglings. It does royally rape your economy. 8 pool is a lot safer but you only get 4 zerglings

Save the replay file to your computer then upload it somewhere and we'll take a look

Damn Indie - 4 in Platinum! I'm about 20 in copper and its well hard!

Am i correct in thinking that if its only 3 miners per mineral field and there's 7 mineral fields at the start then you expand when you are on about 20 supply? (presuming you have no other units) Seem's really low to expand. I'm sure I have loads more miners to minerals than 3. Thats probably where i'm going wrong

Last edited:
Soldato

6 Pool, as Guest2 says. is building a spawning pool when you have 6 population. you'll see these terms getting throw around a lot, for example, my opening build order against a standard Terran player would be
10 overlord
14 hatchery at expansion
13 spawning pool (because you lose one population building your hatchery)
15 gas

the numebrs just refer to your population at the time you build something. Its all about timing :)

Also, its awesome watching replays of yourself losing, best way to learn how to counter. "ohhh why didnt i counter with X unit" :D

Yes, building 6 spawning pools is a stupid question :p It means you have 6 drones and get no more, then wait for 200 minerals and get a spawnign pool. Then wait and use the rest of your supply to get 4 (8) zerglings. It does royally rape your economy. 8 pool is a lot safer but you only get 4 zerglings

Save the replay file to your computer then upload it somewhere and we'll take a look

Damn Indie - 4 in Platinum! I'm about 20 in copper and its well hard!

Am i correct in thinking that if its only 3 miners per mineral field and there's 7 mineral fields at the start then you expand when you are on about 20 supply? (presuming you have no other units) Seem's really low to expand. I'm sure I have loads more miners to minerals than 3. Thats probably where i'm going wrong

When you expand should depend on what race you are and what strategy your going for... as a Zerg player i tend to fast expand every game just to get the upper hand.. so expanding at 14 or at 19/20 if ive pooled first.

If your T and P its good to try and get some good harassment or pressure on the opponant before expanding, regardless, you shouldn't expand just because you have 3 miners on each mineral field.

Its all about timing your expo to the point where your opponant can't.. or at least has trouble countering it. Hence why Zerg does it early :)

Hope this helps!

Soldato
What settings does everyone run this in. I have a 5770 and [email protected] and options default to ultra everything. In the config file i have fps locked to 60fps in game and 30 in the menu so it doesnt melt my graphics card. (Not sure if this is fixed now or not) Most maps are fine and run at 60fps but some like twighlight fortress drop fps down to 40 then it big battles to 30. Even at 40fps it feels clunky when moving around the map (especially as i use curser keys to move around sometimes)

In high settings instead of ultra and reflections off its a lot more fluid. I did this after watching a few vids online of how smooth things looked

Soldato
6 pool on Steppes is deadly if a Protoss doesn't wall off completely, not even letting himself out of his base. I tried to get a Zealot out as fast as possible with a 10 gate, constantly chrono boosted, but the lings still got into my base literally a second before my Zealot came out to block the choke I made with a pylon and gateway. You need to fast Forge and build a cannon to hold them off. But if you do hold them off it's basically a guaranteed win.

Associate
Has anyone revived their beta key from game.co.uk yet? Also is there somewhere I can download the latest release of the beta so when I do get my key I already have it downloaded?

never done a 6 pool, does it not rape your economy for pumping more lings?

i always do a 7 pool and managed to get an overlord out afterwards too so i can continue pumping.

either way, 6 pool sounds lethal!

woot now rank 4 in Platinum!

Yeah I found out by accident that 7 pool was better than 6 pool as I think the timings are more or less the same, but you can get a queen a bit earlier and get overlords as needed.

I hate those sorts of strats tbh. But I wanted Scotty to be aware of it for the tournament. Had I known he was playing in a tournament so soon, I probably would have started cheesing him sooner. I liked his attitude towards it. in game he was like "WTF you unsporting sob" and then as soon as we got into the lobby he said "Do it again, I'm going to stop it this time".

In terms of expanding, it all comes down to map size, opponent, and scouting.
As zerg
On the larger maps I 14 Hatch 15gas 14pool. On medium sized maps I 14gas 13pool then expand at 300 min
on small maps I 12 pool and wing it.

Soldato
on small maps I 12 pool and wing it.

I like this one :D

yeah map size plays an important part, i play really safe on that tiny 2 player map.. Steppes Of War?

Scotty is a good player and has a pretty damn good attitude to it all! we're in the same brackets in the tournament as well, so maybe i'll get to see him in the semis :)

Any good Terran players? i need to spa some late night tonight, i realised how appauling my ZvT is...

Back
Top Bottom