Learning another language, tips ?

Soldato
Has anyone else here learnt another language?

I've always wanted to but never really had the enthusiasm until lately. I've also decided to try Lithuanian since I know a few people who are from there and I figure it would be pretty good to be able to speak a bit of the language.

Has anyone got any tips on the best place to start etc, book/softare? I've picked up a bit of freeware called Byki and I've learn a few basics but want to learn more.

Associate
The only way to really learn a language is live in the country in my opinion. Other than that, work in a company where they all speak the language and you deal with the languages home country etc.

There's countless threads on this here if you search btw.

Associate
Other than the obvious "you have to keep working on it", nope, no tips. Think Michel Thomas is/was considered one of the best; no idea if he covered Lithuanian though.

Soldato
I would say classes to create a foundation of basic grammar and vocabulary then you can take things into your own hands and learn a new verb every day. The only problem is Lithuanian is probably pretty difficult to find classes for, you only option may be a tutor.

I see the Lithuanian language has cases, have fun with them, it means nouns change their endings too, it's confusing :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Rosetta Stone is a great language learning aid.

Learns you the same way as toddlers learn their native language.

Caporegime

But adults don't learn language in the same way infants do. After infancy, we lose the ability to "absorb" language skills, and must "learn" them instead.

Soldato
Has anyone else here learnt another language?

I've always wanted to but never really had the enthusiasm until lately. I've also decided to try Lithuanian since I know a few people who are from there and I figure it would be pretty good to be able to speak a bit of the language.

Has anyone got any tips on the best place to start etc, book/softare? I've picked up a bit of freeware called Byki and I've learn a few basics but want to learn more.

Try and see how much extra lists are available in BYKI deluxe. I know in Russian there was only like 10 lists for free but over 200 lists in the deluxe version. Transparent (software company that develops the software) often has sales on so keep an eye out for them.

Soldato
OP
Try and see how much extra lists are available in BYKI deluxe. I know in Russian there was only like 10 lists for free but over 200 lists in the deluxe version. Transparent (software company that develops the software) often has sales on so keep an eye out for them.

Thanks I'll have a look for them, I'm pretty impressed with the program so far, been playing around just learning basics such as colours and stuff, it's such a nice language.

Doesn't support Lithuanian apparently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom