developing an app for android, how hard?

i've come up with an idea for my android phone that would help make my life much much easier. i've searched and can't find anything like this (though could be mistaken as their search isn't that great for android apps imo) and think it would be a good idea that a lot of people would use.

i have pretty good experience with php, mysql, jquery, javascript, html and css and i think i can learn new languages fairly quick given i put the time into it.

just wondering what it is i'd have to know and do to make an app for android and how hard people think it'll be with what i already know?

also i want to search more to make sure this idea hasn't been made already. can anyone suggest a way to better go through the apps available? i'm thinking of perhaps asking google directly as they're the only ones i can trust not to steal the idea.

Associate
Not to sure how hard you'd you find it as Java's type system is quite a departure from PHP or JS. But the views are XML so it shouldn't be too far away.

Java is to Javascript as car is to carbonation.

Associate
Android development is a bit weird.

To get something up and running is quite simple (if you know java). But things get bit hairy the more and more you dive into it, then there is the problem of the different versions of Android.

I would say learn a little java and then start playing with Android. The developer site linked above has great advice and guides on things. I would strongly recommend Reto Meier's book if you're really serious.

Soldato
Android development is a bit weird.

To get something up and running is quite simple (if you know java). But things get bit hairy the more and more you dive into it, then there is the problem of the different versions of Android.

I would say learn a little java and then start playing with Android. The developer site linked above has great advice and guides on things. I would strongly recommend Reto Meier's book if you're really serious.

Personally I'd say it's easy. You can configure Eclipse (a popular Java IDE) to the point you can deploy an app to android phones in less than 30 mins. I had a "hello world" example in minutes after that, and a "real world" app done within a day. It's straight forward, easy and quick.

Soldato
You could develop WebApps rather than on-phone apps. The resulting code would work across android and iphone..

Back
Top Bottom