Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Abstain

Votes: 80 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
The truth is no matter how much we discuss it, we're totally ****** now. If the Torries try to cut they'll get out voted, if Labour try to resist they'll get out voted. The truth is that no matter who gets into power now, they will have no real support and the country, and we'll spiral into Greek type chaos, and it doesn't matter if the IMF step in ,they can't save all the EU, just thank the lord we're not in the common currency!

Indeed, i want another GE right now TBH, it will a much more traditional red Vs blue race with LD being pushed out because people will not be happy about going through it all again. meghatronic's OR is very unlikely

Associate
On the contrary, fiscal authoritarianism is far worse for all people, not just the working class.

It's not worse for all people as it would be asking for people to live without luxury so that others can simply live. Anyway, this is mostly irrelevant as I do not endorse either extreme.

It could be worse, it could be Labour, who are more unpopular now than even Major managed. In fact they are currently on a par with labour under Michael Foot in 1983... The year of the longest suicide note in history.

It's not like its totally unexpected given the global financial crisis and the political gravity surrounding the end of their 3rd term in office. If neither of these things were present, public opinion would be different if it were based purely upon their unpopular polices.

Soldato
Indeed, i want another GE right now TBH, it will a much more traditional red Vs blue race with LD being pushed out because people will not be happy about going through it all again. meghatronic's OR is very unlikely

I think that another GE will happen, in fact I think it has too. The Torries can't seriously think that lib dems will vote with them, no matter what posh boy Clegg says. The Torries will have no chance of getting a decision on school lunches yet alone anything serious about the economy in such a fragile merger with the lib dems. The only two parties that can work together are the Libs and Labour purely because they exist on the same political spectrum, no matter how Comeron et al spin it, the lib dems are far far closer on policy to Labour than they are with the conservatives.

Soldato

Hopefully people will realise that there is a need for PR and would not vote so traditionally. I hope the red vs blue cycle can be stopped and that the elected members are elected for their representation of the countries broad wishes not to satisfy some archaic system that, along with the "no need for ID", would probably have half the democracies in the world crying "foul" if you changed the name from UK to <insert African state here>.

Soldato
The longer they take to sort this government out the worse the city will suffer.

We will approach Greek like financial problems. Saying we won't is like closing your eyes and pretending its not there. Spending cuts need to hapen this year or our deficit could reach 80% GDP.

Also, I don't know if both Labour or LibDems could fund another election. I think the Cons can just about.

Output has been slowing since Jan. We need to replace the money for the bank bail outs and the printing of new money. Its gonna be the hardest 5 years for a long time.

Suspended

That makes me feel sad. I will vote Lib-Dem again, and hope many others who did support Labour will change their vote to us.

Soldato
Hopefully people will realise that there is a need for PR and would not vote so traditionally. I hope the red vs blue cycle can be stopped and that the elected members are elected for their representation of the countries broad wishes not to satisfy some archaic system that, along with the "no need for ID", would probably have half the democracies in the world crying "foul" if you changed the name from UK to <insert African state here>.

yes, the people that were allowed to vote voted for this result, you can't just keep on having elections until you get the result you like. What happens if the next one was hung as well?

I think ultimately the discussions will boil down to what sort of reform shall we have.

For myself, I think this election and the mps expenses stuff has shown our system to be joke and a complete rebuild is needed.

Soldato
We will approach Greek like financial problems. Saying we won't is like closing your eyes and pretending its not there. Spending cuts need to hapen this year or our deficit could reach 80% GDP.

That's exactly what some Labour supporters (and at least one on this thread) are thinking and I'm not sure why they're are living in denial.

How much does a GE cost? I heard the figure £40m a few days ago. Is that correct?

Associate
The longer they take to sort this government out the worse the city will suffer.

80% of GDP? Really? So you're saying the deficit will reach £1,605,639,200,000~?

:rolleyes:

Soldato
That's exactly what some Labour supporters (and at least one on this thread) are thinking and I'm not sure why they're are living in denial.

How much does a GE cost? I heard the figure £40m a few days ago. Is that correct?

Totally. 40 million on a new election is a drop in the ocean. Lets get the government in power with a majority now, we'll lose far more than £40 million if we've not got a decision by Monday I can tell you what now.

Soldato
80% of GDP? Really? So you're saying the deficit will reach £1,605,639,200,000~?

:rolleyes:

He obviously used the wrong word but instead of just pointing that out and saying "it will never happen la la la" with your hands over your ears, perhaps you can give us some reasons why you think the UK will never end up like Greece if Labour get back in with their makeshift government.

Soldato
Current situation highlights what a joke FPP has become - the only benefits are that it's supposed to bring about a decisive result and strong government, yet we have neither and the disadvantages of relative disenfrachisement of roughly 2/3rds of the electorate is still present.

Cameron should grow a pair and realise his support for anything other than a change is untenable - let him have his useless all-party committee if he wants but make it so the findings are put to referendum and binding.

Frankly such a compromise seems so stupidly reasonable that the longer it goes without it being agreed the more petty it appears.

Soldato
He obviously used the wrong word but instead of just pointing that out and saying "it will never happen la la la" with your hands over your ears, perhaps you can give us some reasons why you think the UK will never end up like Greece if Labour get back in with their makeshift government.

of course we can end up like greece, the bond traders drive everything, and if you are vulnerable they will take advantage. The more you owe relative to income the more vulnerable you are.

At the moment they are distracted by the easy target that is the euro. The pound is a relatively safe haven at the moment.

Associate
I welcome the fact that we don't currently have one party able to pass whatever they like through parliament. If policies are well thought out and obviously beneficial to the nation they'll get passed, while others that are intended for purely ideological reasons won't. We have to assume (despite what we may have witnessed before) that politicians are sensible enough to do what is in the national interest.

If the majority of the successful economies in the world manage quite happily with political systems that use PR I can't see why we can't do the same, and I really hope that we take this opportunity to change to a fairer voting system.

Associate

1. The UK's sovereign debt is long term maturity debt.
2. Our debt is actually quite small compared to other industrialised countries (See Japan - their debt is 170%-198% of their GDP depending on which measure you judge it).
3. Our credit rating is better than most European countries.
4. Our interest rates are much much lower.
5. We still have the option of QE should we need it again.

So, all in all, pretty incomparable problems. If we don't reduce our DEFICIT, then yes our DEBT will be a problem. All parties are planning on cutting the deficit though.

Caporegime
Frankly such a compromise seems so stupidly reasonable that the longer it goes without it being agreed the more petty it appears.

I love the tories twisted logic in this matter. They say the people didn't vote for electoral reform, and they also say they won't give them a vote on electoral reform (referendum). It's really precious :D

Lots of people here too are terrified that anything other than FPTP will see their party lose power. Terrified of losing something they don't have a legitimate claim to have, and can only justify by saying "it's the status quo".

Soldato
The more you owe relative to income the more vulnerable you are.

Exactly. Obviously I don't think we'll end up like Greece level to that but it's certainly a possibility... which makes posts like this very odd:

Do you have any understanding of what's happening in Greece? The UK will not end up the same state, ever. It's ridiculous to even compare them.

Back
Top Bottom