Backtrack V4

Associate
Hi,
I've made me a nice USB version of this but where I try to login using the details provided on their website it reports the details are incorrect.

Any one got any idea as to why?
I've currently d/l a new copy in case it was a bad download, and will make it to USB again, it does need to be USB cos I'd don't have a CD drive on my test machine.

Soldato
Does user: root & password: toor not work? They should.

You can verify the integrity using a checksum before you whack it on usb: "md5sum backtrackcd.iso" and compare it to their website.

Soldato
Hi,
I've made me a nice USB version of this but where I try to login using the details provided on their website it reports the details are incorrect.

Any one got any idea as to why?
I've currently d/l a new copy in case it was a bad download, and will make it to USB again, it does need to be USB cos I'd don't have a CD drive on my test machine.

As tntcoder says, the default root password is toor, so use the username root and the password toor to login. It works fine here. When you login change the root password straight away!

Associate
OP
That's ones I've got.
USB boots up to the terminal prompt, but thats as far as it gets.
What's the correct procedure for getting the GUI to start or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Want it to run from the USB, it was all made following the instructions on their site.

Soldato
That's ones I've got.
USB boots up to the terminal prompt, but thats as far as it gets.
What's the correct procedure for getting the GUI to start or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Want it to run from the USB, it was all made following the instructions on their site.

Like -Tauren- startx should launch into a windowed environment. I would say backtrack is for security pros only. It's not a user friendly distro guys. If you're not used to Linux look else where.

Associate
OP
Got it up, and yes I realise its for pro's only but I just wanted to have a play.
Easy enough to make a USB drive so might try a more user friendly version. What is it based on does anyone know?

Associate
Like -Tauren- startx should launch into a windowed environment. I would say backtrack is for security pros only. It's not a user friendly distro guys. If you're not used to Linux look else where.

Hm, i wouldnt say backtrack is for pro's. I'd say it's a load of old tosh with poor script kiddie security tools built in.

Point and click rubbish tbh..

Dont mean to bite ur head off mind, no offence meant :)

Soldato
Hm, i wouldnt say backtrack is for pro's. I'd say it's a load of old tosh with poor script kiddie security tools built in.

They are hardly poor script kiddy tools...

Assuming you don't have a hefty budget behind you, then doing a pen test / security audit will often invoke exactly the kind of tools in Backtrack's collection.

I will say I don't really see the point to Backtrack unless you need to do a quick live proof of concept demo or something. While it's collection of tools is good, I would rather have a customized persistent Linux install with tools setup and configured to my liking. I guess it has its uses though, and certain people will find it much more useful than others.

Soldato

yeah kiddie tools. ones that can crack WEP keys and such. :rolleyes:

D33

D33

Associate
I AM ELITE HAXXOR, I CODE EVERYTHING BY HAND MYSELF. IF YOU DON'T YOU ARE WIDDLE SCRIPT KIDDIE!!1

Grow up.

Backtrack provides a great set of tools recognised by people from all fields of computing from forensics to security. If you'd prefer to code something yourself and run it from a terminal then that's great, but knocking something because it's got a gui is utterly moronic.

Back
Top Bottom