What's going on with Folding@Home?

Soldato
I checked my stats just now and despite no GPU folding for most of the week I am still in 3rd place in the top 20 producers list. I see quite a few people have taken a hit in their PPD all of a sudden - excepting Bigstan as we know most of his farm is not-on!

Are we getting a flurry of bad WUs, slow WUs or is everyone winding down for the "Summer"? :p

Associate
Well ive taken a hit in points over the last couple of weeks due to losing half of my 9800gx2 yet again.
Ive still to get round testing it in a differrent pci-e slot yet to see if the mobo is playing up
if not then its back to leadtek with it for yet another repair

Associate
looking at my weekly stats from when i got the gx2 back and running at full speed again im only losing around 30,000 PPW which is not too bad could be worse i suppose.

Man of Honour
Dam slackers

I might not be a high producer but production is on its way up, and I might even have a GPU of some description end of next week providiing miniyazz isnt snapping them all up.

Man of Honour
I guess its not so bad as my search can include those with dual slot coolers as I only have the one PCI-E slot

On a another note the misses doesnt like the fact I've removed 2 of the 5.25" bay covers on the front of the rig so I can have another 120mm fan mounted below the DVD drives, Its good for a 4 degree temp drop so I'll put up with the moaning till I decide on a solution. She should just be glad I'm not running the San Ace at full tilt.

edit 2: Job done, not the best looking solution but could be a lot worse. Superglue, bit of motherboard box foam, a bit of mesh and a stanley knife is all it needed.

2q2iyah.jpg

qns22d.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Im already planning for the hot weather and addition of a GPU to the rig.

Need to decide on a cpu cooler now as I'm rather space limited, bought a Hyper 212 a few weeks back that didnt fit, and it got a little damaged by me trying to make it fit. I've not seen anything above the low 50s for core temps

Associate
The last 24 hours was a shocker for the team only 257,000 points. We were up around 500,000 a few weeks ago.

It would be good to have the news back. We could get a better idea of where we're losing points. My production will be up above 10k ppd from tomorrow onwards.

Good luck with the new job shadowscotland. :)

Soldato
OP
I might be able to help with the news. I have been toying with a script to do the news automagically. I haven't looked at it for a while as I have been busy with other things. I will see if I can get it working! :)

Soldato
+1 slacker here :( but new job starts monday so that may change :)

Good luck in the new job - hope you can get some crunching going once things have settled :)

Personally my output is suffering badly due to a duff card I think (and as I type the GPU fan spinning down probably means another failure - grrrr) looks like my 8800GT might need a kicking.
Luckily I got hold of a pair of 8800GTX's today so should be able to do something with those and get my quad back online also :cool:

edit: Ok that's the first one fired up and a quick test using OCCT shows it's good to go, already an extra 10% PPD over the GT so we'll just have to see how it goes overnight. I won't be turning the heat on anyway that's for sure :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom