Which 24"? Work and PS3

Associate
Budget of 200 ish.

I won't be PC gaming on it, just connecting PS3 via HDMI? or DVI if preferably and monitor is HDMI compliant. Not sure which is preferable?

Also, 16:9 or 16:10 in this situation? I want to avoid PS3 borders if its going to be an issue. Currently running 140x900 res for work stuff so anything bigger than hat is a bonus.

Any recommendations?

Associate
BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor [9H.L3XLB.QBE]

£169.99 inc VAT
you'll need a dvi to hdmi adapter to get it to work with the Ps3. Picture quality is the nuts you wont be dissapointed and it's within your price range so you can give me 30 quid.

Last edited:
Associate
G2420HDBL is good but it only has one DVI. This mean you will have to connect the PC via VGA, which do not provide the best quality compare to DVI.

Soldato
The Dell ST2410 24" is around £200 so within your budget and has both HDMI, DVI and VGA so perfect for what you want it for. It also has a Audio In/Out ports so when using HDMI you can get the audio for your speakers by plugging in some speakers to the monitor or using headphones.

Dells On-Site Warranty service is excellent as well, 3 years on this monitor.

Soldato
A little over budget but fits your needs perfectly:
Iiyama B2409HDS 24" Monitor. HDMI Support. Built-In Speakers (which are fantastic).
VGa, HDMI, DVI Input and a Speaker / Headphone jack.
Adjustable stand, horizontal and vertical positioning. ;)

Caporegime
thing is though.. the ilyama isnt LED and doesnt have as good contrast ratio as the other screens despite costing as much..?

same with the dell...

thats why the benq at £200 with VGA/HDMI/ 10,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio is pretty good imo.

Soldato
You can safely ignore dynamic contrast ratios. All that means is that the intensity of the backlight can be set to (practically) zero lux for a black scene and nice and bright for a white scene. The BenQ IS a very good screen for the money, but I would strongly recommend the V2420 as it has an HDMI port. It is available now, but for some reason not yet in stock at Overclockers.

Associate
OP
Samsung T240HD.

Has 2hdmi, 1 dvi, and its a TV with speakers. Not sure i9f oUK has them, but you should be able to find these for about £200 now :)

Never thought of that. Its more for PS3 as first use, then hooking my laptop us for work when needed. So I should be looking at a TV rather than a monitor. :)

Any advance on that Sammy?

Soldato
well actually, the V2420 has no HDMI, only the V2420H has HDMI!

there are none available in distribution yet:/

Yeah that's true. The problem is there's been a flurry of new monitors from lots of manufacturers that are basically aesthetic modifications of existing panels. I mean BenQ have the new V series members and they are soon to launch the GL series - but they are probably very similar panels to the 'old' G2420HDBLs. Then Samsung have launched their new 'plum' series (maybe the OP could consider one of them?) and ViewSonic are soon to release some new VX and VA series monitors.

Soldato
Never thought of that. Its more for PS3 as first use, then hooking my laptop us for work when needed. So I should be looking at a TV rather than a monitor. :)

Any advance on that Sammy?

get an LG 32LH3000 TV £360, i've recommended to 2 friends with PS3 and they absolutely love it, ace TV picture too and PC works well through it aswell :)

my second option would be that 27" Iiyama Monitor that can be found on OCUK.

Associate
OP
I have a 40" Samsung in the lounge for "proper" gaming and the 360 sits on it.

the 24" is a compromise as a monitor and PS3/Driving Force Pro/Gran Turismo 5 playing at the desk.

Caporegime
spoonz i had a 16" 720 samsung lcd tv as my pc monitor, whilst it was good (large) it was probably too large for comfortable pc gaming. plus the res was too low, maybe a 27 with 2080p would be okay but i sold mine in order to downgrade, i was going to get an acer 24" LED TFT or a Benq 24" V2410 - but then when i heard that the V2420H was coming out with even higher contrast ratio i decided to wait for that....

id really like a samsung lx2370 but they are not cheap or easy to get hold of but probably have the best picture for the money.

i have a ps3 and 40" 1080p samsung downstairs but i might wangt to use ps3 on thre 24" at some point in the future, who knows? hence why i definately want a hdmi input - and why it would be useful to get a tft with one attached rather than spending out on adapter cables and such like.

Back
Top Bottom