New Number Plate

Soldato
Hi all,

Having vapourised a rabbit late last year, I've finally booked the zed in for an aero front bumper this weekend, and I'm thinking of tidying up the front end while I'm at it.

Are there any reccomendations for who to use to get a new number plate made up?

I don't want any fancy fonts or anything like that, but the ink has run on my front plate and one of the screws is rusty, so I could do with a replacement...

Cheers

Soldato
Hi all,

Having vapourised a rabbit late last year, I've finally booked the zed in for an aero front bumper this weekend, and I'm thinking of tidying up the front end while I'm at it.

Are there any reccomendations for who to use to get a new number plate made up?

I don't want any fancy fonts or anything like that, but the ink has run on my front plate and one of the screws is rusty, so I could do with a replacement...

Cheers

Fox always says BMW did his plates nice and clean for £10 each I think, Halfords did mine recently and I asked for no markings and clean and they look fine for about £13 a plate.

Soldato
OP
Fox always says BMW did his plates nice and clean for £10 each I think, Halfords did mine recently and I asked for no markings and clean and they look fine for about £13 a plate.

Excellent... Was there a lead time involved, and did you need any documents etc?

Soldato
Excellent... Was there a lead time involved, and did you need any documents etc?

I doubt BMW will need anything more than your V5 just to prove you own the car, might not even need that if they are taking off the old plate and putting the new one on for you.

Halfords needed my new plate certificate as I had bought a new plate and was getting a whole new set made and transfering it onto my car etc...

Time was about 10minutes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16526764 said:
Your local main dealer. Less than a tenner.

My local dealer is a bit hit and miss. Jodie can't do enough to help, while Darren is a waste of space. Things can seem far too much like hard work with them, which isn't really the point of using a main dealer...

Man of Honour
My local dealer is a bit hit and miss. Jodie can't do enough to help, while Darren is a waste of space. Things can seem far too much like hard work with them, which isn't really the point of using a main dealer...

It doesnt really matter how useless the member of staff serving you is, numberplates are numberplates :confused:

Soldato
They are also easy to mess up.

I was not too impressed with the bubbles in mine and spent some time removing them without damaging the reflective side of the sticker. Annoying to say the least.

Soldato
I know it is. But it's a silly law. Anyone can walk into a private garage and get them done without documentation for a tenner. Or do it properly, faff around with paperwork, and pay extra for the hassle.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ordered my last set off the internet, no paperwork needed and delivered in about 2 days. Plenty of places around.

Soldato
As above, I get mine from Fancyplates. Excellent quality and excellent service. Ordered a new front plate just now in fact, as my current one has been violated by a rather large stone it would seem!

Soldato
Basically for the number plate to be legal it must display the name of the maker with their postcode.
It must also display the BSU number.
To legally be allowed to place those marks on the plate then by law the maker needs to see either your V5 or Certificate of entitlement.

So if you've got those marks on your plate and you didn't have to show one of the documents then the garage were breaking the law.

If you don't have those marks on your plates then they aren't legal.

Caporegime
Can you elaborate on this Rabbit vaporisation? sounds interesting! :)

I have often had to call at a random place to get a new trailer number plate for my HGV, most of the time they simply ask me what the reg number is, no docs,nothing.

On a rare occasion, they may even look at the front of the truck to see what the number is....

Seems like its a law thats, like many, ignored in practice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom