*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Ass to grass so yeah similar thing Zip :p
As for your diet Hayt, its seriously poor. Aim to eat wholemeal low GI carbs and lots of veg, also dietary fat =/= body fat and you want good fats in your diet (from oily fish, nuts etc).

Associate
Thanks for the help, I should have said, I work to three sets of 10 reps, its just the weights I aim for mean I dont usually make the full ten in the seoncd and third sets. I am trying to work to that but usually get tired hence the drop in what I actually acheive each set.

Best recommendation for carbs then?

Can work on the protein ok, would a combination carbs/protein suppliment make my life easier here? Not dabbled with supliments, but getting the food in whilst at work etc is difficult.

Again if so, recommendations?

The a/b approach is just to break up the muscle groups chest/triceps, back/biceps with the legs thrown in as I dont want too heavy a leg workout due to the TKD. I can get to the gym two to three times and just alternate but I'll take on board what you say and try and mix up the exercises a bit to keep it rounded.

Should I throw in more cardio to this or is that going to be counter productive to the build?

Associate
Thanks for the help, I should have said, I work to three sets of 10 reps, its just the weights I aim for mean I dont usually make the full ten in the seoncd and third sets. I am trying to work to that but usually get tired hence the drop in what I actually acheive each set.

Best recommendation for carbs then?

Can work on the protein ok, would a combination carbs/protein suppliment make my life easier here? Not dabbled with supliments, but getting the food in whilst at work etc is difficult.

Again if so, recommendations?

The a/b approach is just to break up the muscle groups chest/triceps, back/biceps with the legs thrown in as I dont want too heavy a leg workout due to the TKD. I can get to the gym two to three times and just alternate but I'll take on board what you say and try and mix up the exercises a bit to keep it rounded.

Should I throw in more cardio to this or is that going to be counter productive to the build?

might want to drop the weigths a bit then and get into the 8-12 range for all 3 sets.

you could do with about 1.7g of protein per 1kg of body weight, a whey protein suppliment helps a lot, but you can get away without depending on diet.

your body runs out of its energy from carbs after about 45mins and continuing after that will be counter productive, take a look at Interval training.

Soldato
So boys and girls diet is going well but i made a killer lasagne, obviously not the best thing for me on a cut.

Anyways apart from wheat pasta sheets to thin down the calories of the sauces? or is it possible to make your own?

Currently using about 1kg of lean mince,onions,mushrooms, both red & wite sauce + egg sheets and some cheese.

Associate
The red sauce are fairly simple to make. Tin of tomato and herbs, bit of red wine. The Béchamel is a bit more tricky. Butter, skimmed milk, Parmesan cheese etc...

Soldato
Fairly reasonable back session today. Decided to ditch the 5x5 for deadlifts and just pyramid as usual. Found 5x5 for lots of heavy compounds too draining.

60Kg x 10 & 110KG x 10 to warm up.

150KG x 4, pause for grip, x 1 Raw
170KG x 2 Raw, strapped for final 2
180KG x 3 S
190Kg x 2 S
200Kg x 2 S

Grip is deffinatley much much better than it was but no where near what I'd like. Was severely hindered by almost cutting a finger off! Will get back onto the gripper program as off tomorrow. Deffinatley progressing so can't complain.

Also weighted pull ups + 10KG, B.O.R's @ 100KG, Some rear fly to help activate Rhombs a bit more & some heavy BB curls. Finishing with FST7 seated row & FST7 Straight bar isolation/concetration curls (we call them spider curls but have no idea if thats correct).

Work is mounting up on me and I'm ridiculously tired, begining to feel a little stressed too. In a week and a halfs time I'll have nothing to do except eat, sleep & train. Can't wait :)

Soldato
*Looks at sig* Trying to get MP points Benny? :p

Random question time:
What's the most effective way of using a chest press machine? I can't get the correct form for maximum chest use. I arch my back for BB/DB chest press so I assumed the same would apply when performing the exercise vertically? However, some guides state your entire back should be resting on the pad...

Soldato
*Looks at sig* Trying to get MP points Benny? :p

It stands out enough then ;)

Random question time:
What's the most effective way of using a chest press machine? I can't get the correct form for maximum chest use. I arch my back for BB/DB chest press so I assumed the same would apply when performing the exercise vertically? However, some guides state your entire back should be resting on the pad...

It would depend on the chest press machine. Though most from memory and both in the gyms I use tend to push upwards and together. Which isn't a very natural position for the pecs to be working. Decline motions hit the chest best.

I'd try setting the seat a tad higher and arching slightly to try and simulate pushing down.

What are the handles like? I've used ones where they're positioned for a pro-nated grip, hammer and also semi-suprinated.

Soldato
Since I hurt my right elbow my right arm is officially my weakest of the two. Even though I'm right handed.

Incline dumbbell presses today showed how banjaxed it is.

31.8kg DB's and I couldn't for the life of me get my right arm up all the way to the start position. Got about 60% and couldn't move even though my left flew up. Just called it quits after my third attempt and grabbed the 27.5's again :mad:

Was really peeved off.

After upward cable flyes i went to flat bench, and low and behold I managed 5 sets with the 31.8's with 6 reps each.

So either I hd the incline to high (@55 or 60 degrees), or I just lack the pushing power in my right which I use to have. Specially considering before the whole elbow thing I was pushing around 36's like I am 31.8's now :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Could try some negatives to rebuild the strength?

That's a very high incline! Do you get much chest involvement?

I usually do incline chest work at around 20-30 degrees and shoulder work from 60-90 degrees.

Hope the elbow sorts itself out soon mate.

Soldato
I get quite abit of chest activation, although I don't have a training parter at the moment. Given that it's exam time, so negatives are no go atm.

But I might drop it between 30-45 degrees. Build it up again from there, and slowly increase the incline again.

Thing is the elbow feels healed, no pain or niggles at all anymore. Just the strength seems a bit off.

Oh well I've plenty of time to build it back up and higher once the summer hits.

That's all given the only gym in my town has anything decent, it's a hotel gym :/

Soldato
I used have an issue with my right front delt fatiguing way way before my left front delt, or even either side of my chest. Was very frustrating can't remember what I did but it sorted itself out eventually.

I personally wouldn't go any higher than 45-50 degrees to focus the upper chest more, but thats because I find the majority of the work is done by my delts as opposed to chest. perhaps partialling from the top would get more chest involvement but probaly too small a ROM for me. Whatever works for you though mate.

Just remember there is no 'upper pec/chest' as the pec minor sits behind the pec major. Though you can manipulate exercises to feel it more in specific areas of muscles you can't work top/bottom/side or just single heads at a time :)

Edit: Low to high flyes I found very effective for activating the upper chest regions. Check them out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah true, but do my entire chest. Have to blast it all after all.

The only reason I'm even doing incline first is to test my metal :p I get most of my work done on the flat bench and with cable flyes along with weighted dips :D

Back
Top Bottom