Internet problem

Associate
Got my mates laptop here.

Problem is it will not connect to the internet. It says its connected through wireless but web pages will not load.

Also tryed connecting it directly and it still wont work.

Ran Virus Scans etc, Would do updates but cant get on the net to download them.

LAN switch is on.

Any ideas?

Soldato
I hate networking in vista!

Go to the control panel

Click "Network and Internet"
Click "Manage network connections."

Choose which Internet connection you would like to change if you have more than one. (Make sure they have not been disabled as well)

Right click on it and select "Properties."

Click the "Networking" tab

Choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Make sure its set to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain dns server address automatically.

If he has an ip/dns address already in the boxes i would make a note of it encase your mate needs it at a later date.

Associate
OP
Checked and they are set to find them automatically.

Everytime i scan for a wireless network it can't find any even though my other laptop can no problems.

It sometimes DOES connect though but disconnects shortly after ( Still wont load internet even when connected though )

check Device manager and there are no yellow flags for the network adaptors etc.

Soldato
Is the mains adaptor plugged in to the laptop and switched on? Some laptops disable networking when in power save mode.

What make and model is the laptop?
Does it have a wireless on/off switch?
Can you see the laptop connected if you log in to the router (might need to be with another pc) as most routers will show connected devices?

Associate
OP
Yeah its fully charged

Its an Acer Aspire 5720Z

Its not showing as connected

I plugged in my ethernet cable and got

ipv4 192.168.2.6
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

Its Sending / Revieving Bytes but still wont go on google etc.

Soldato
I ment that you are using the ac mains adaptor not the battery. I have had the problem before where my netbook was running off the battery not ac adaptor and I couldn't get connected via cable or the wireless until it was plugged in.

So your getting an ip address from the router then if its 192.168.2.6. Im assuming this is the same address as your router: 192.168.2.1?

can you ping bbc.

start<run<cmd

ping bbc.co.uk

Associate
OP
Nope MSN isnt working.

Its weird, On wireless it'll connect to the network then suddenly disconnect. Then when i messed around it says it cant find any wireless hardware. Im guessing the drivers etc are fine.

Associate
Try changing the Wireless security on the router.. Sounds daft but for some reason ive found certain machines only like certain types of wireless security.. Try wep :D

Weird how its pinging but no web.. Usually a virus when this happens.. MSN shud work tho.

U got a msn address or anything Liam? need to talk to you about that gfx card aswell.. add me: [email protected] or email me at [email protected]

Associate
Nope MSN isnt working.

Its weird, On wireless it'll connect to the network then suddenly disconnect. Then when i messed around it says it cant find any wireless hardware. Im guessing the drivers etc are fine.

When you visit a site in IE.. Look at the status bar at the bottom, does it try and load any third party sites first? This is a sign of spyware infection which can often block access to web.

Also, what security software does he have? Ive seen norton sometimes block web access when subscription has expired..

Back
Top Bottom