Being evicted due to demolition

Associate
My council property is being knocked down (thank god) and we obviously have to move out fairly soon. We have been given access to the housing register with a priority stamp and will receive £4600 by way of 'compensation' to decorate a new home, put towards deposit on a mortgage, or whatever we want to do with it.

Now, the local housing officer has outlined what we are entitled to and what we can expect, but I am aware that she is acting on behalf of the council and will obviously be giving us the 'what they want us to hear' speech, if there is such a thing. I want to know what our real, legal entitlements are but I am struggling to find any relevant information on the net.

Does anyone know anything about this, or know the best place to find out, short of employing a solicitor?

Associate
£4600 what a joke, typical.

I could do with £4600 myself, pay off my debt perfectly. Seeing as they take £10000 a year from me, see it as a present from me.

Though I'm not a fan of how much money gets handed out 'willy nilly', you know next to nothing about his circumstances and therefore in no place to judge.

Please step down from that high horse.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

I could do with £4600 myself, pay off my debt perfectly. Seeing as they take £10000 a year from me, see it as a present from me.

Is the air a bit thin up at that altitude on your high horse?

Going to echo the others - go see someone at the CAB.

Soldato
My Nan got moved out of a council property, got all her moving costs paid, a brand new property and if she does not move back to the propertie when its rebuilt she will also get 10k, they moved her from Council to housing association.

Soldato

I agree completely!
I can't afford to insulate my house atm, but if I was on benefits I'd have it done for free.
I'm still paying off the thousands of pounds it cost me to have my kitchen done to a reasonable standard, yet I can afford to subsidise other people moving house?
It seems a shameful waste of taxpayers money to "compensate" someone for relocating them into other, presumably better taxpayer subsidised housing.

Shame!

EDIT: And the best part is... HE WANTS MORE!

Soldato
I agree completely!
I can't afford to insulate my house atm, but if I was on benefits I'd have it done for free.
I'm still paying off the thousands of pounds it cost me to have my kitchen done to a reasonable standard, yet I can afford to subsidise other people moving house?
It seems a shameful waste of taxpayers money to "compensate" someone for relocating them into other, presumably better taxpayer subsidised housing.

Shame!

EDIT: And the best part is... HE WANTS MORE!

...Is the OP not paying Tax?

Soldato
Even if he is... is he not subsidised by everyone else?

EDIT: Or do we choose what our taxes are spent on specifically now? If that's the case, I want my taxes paid towards a conservatory on my house and an all expenses paid blowout in Vegas thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Even if he is... is he not subsidised by everyone else?

Not really if he is working then no. The council property was obviously paid for years ago so in effect he is just renting like anybody else. The reason there is compensation is because they are being forced from their home which is not only stressfull but costly.

TJM

TJM

Associate
You scumbag!! A council house!! How dare you have the audacity not to live on the street, where you belong!!

*foams at mouth*

Man of Honour

If your paying £10000 in tax a year you must be earning quite a bit... its no ones fault but your own if you can't manage your money properly...

Back
Top Bottom