Laptop screen has killed itself, advice needed.

Soldato
This happened to my Acer 6920G last night for no apparent reason:

I can get a replacement screen from ebay for £75, is it advisable to fit the new screen myself?
I have no idea how much Acer would charge to repair it, can't find any info on their website. I also don't know of any laptop repair companies in Swansea.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that that chassis Acer's (at least some models in that range) have an issue with the mount point near the webcam that creates unnecessary pressure causing the screen to fracture. (or something similar)

I have sent a few similar chassis models away under warranty to Acer with almost exactly the same crack (same point of origin etc) and they have been repaired FOC.

They will obviously check the damage to ensure that (if applicable) it is the defect that caused it to crack.

Worth a shot if yours is one of the affected models.

Soldato
OP
I have no warranty, I bought this one second hand off ebay after my previous one was taken by a burglar (now in prison!).
The ebay member I bought it from has also closed his account now. Is there anywhere on the Acer website where I can enter the serial number of the laptop to check for warranty?

Soldato
I have no warranty, I bought this one second hand off ebay after my previous one was taken by a burglar (now in prison!).
The ebay member I bought it from has also closed his account now. Is there anywhere on the Acer website where I can enter the serial number of the laptop to check for warranty?

I'm not sure tbh, I never checked...just called them!

You could try giving the service line a call but you 'got given the laptop as a gift' so don't have a reciept and see if they can check warranty status from the S/N over the phone.

Soldato
OP
You could try giving the service line a call but you 'got given the laptop as a gift' so don't have a reciept and see if they can check warranty status from the S/N over the phone.

Just checked on their website using my laptop SNID, the warranty expired 11 months ago!
I've submitted an enquiry to have it repaired, so should know the cost etc. tomorrow.

Soldato
When you say it just happened, did it just crack while you were using it?

Regards that guide you can change the screen without taking the whole screen pack off, just abit more fiddly but a lot less screws, you just have to take screws out around the lcd bezel and then gently pull it forward while taking the screws out the hinge supports then disconnect the webcam cable and then the lcd cable.

Back
Top Bottom