• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I'm stuck, what card do i buy? £200-300

Associate
My 9800 GT has died out of warranty and im looking for a card to replace it.

Willing to spend between £200-300.

At work I can get a XFX 5850 for £235 and a Gainward GTX 470 for £275 and I hear theyre on a similar level.. the no brainer seems to be the ATI but the NVIDIA is new and ive always stuck with the nvidia camp of old.

I'd look at other cards those are just examples.. can someone advise me on whats best to buy at the moment?

Mainly play call of duty series and NFS shift at the moment, spec as signature but looking to upgrade eventually with this card in place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mainly play call of duty series and NFS shift at the moment, spec as signature but looking to upgrade eventually with this card in place.

For these games even a 5850 is an overkill. My 5830 is basically idleing running them all at full settings.

You could get a 5850 for £240ish, or a 5830 for £160ish. Big price jump and you probably won't use the extra power unless you run more modern games.

You could also go 5830 CF in the future, which is a much faster setup than a single 5870, but costs around the same.

Associate
OP
Haha.. I dont the bloody thing.. the majority of these asus 9800 gt's the company I work for sold went bad.. they seem to overheat insanely even though the fans are running fine.

Muel thanks for your input but im sure more demanding games will come out and I don't want to have to keep buying new cards as I seem to be doing at the moment :confused:

Associate
5850 for me proven Overclocker well known that can outperform a 5870 once overclocked i'd say thats reason enough right there, Not to mention the cash you would save over a 470GTX you could buy some games.

Associate
The 5850 is the better 'bang for buck' performance-wise, especially when overclocked however the 470 has CUDA and PhysX (for what they are worth) and I prefer the software & driver package from NV personally.

Soldato
You could try 5770 crossfire. That could be fun! Overclock them and they'll outperform a 5870. That said, so would a 5850!

Back
Top Bottom