What's your MPG like on Short Joruneys?

Soldato
Just something I was wondering. Those of us who use our cars mainly for short, stop start journeys have to deal with pretty horrific fuel economy (Due to the Air/Fuel ratio being completely out of whack due to the engine trying to warm-up ASAP by running extremely lean). Then you've got to think about all the stopping/starting which doesn't help either if you commute in a town or city.

Anyway, I was just wondering what sort of MPG figures those of us with short commutes (No longer than 10 miles each way) were getting?

I'm racking up about 12MPGish from the Soarer. Used to get 14MPG from the GTI (2.0) and 24MPG from my little 205 XS (1.4 Carb) from a 6 mile commute with a fair bit of stopping and starting.

P.S, they isn't a "OMG, I get Low MPGzzz" rant, just a general interest thing :)

Associate
I generally get around 12-13 mpg average in my RX8, but this can rise to as high as 25 if used on the motorway, but I hardly need to use the motorways.

olv

olv

Soldato
I got around 19mpg in my TT over 3 miles to work and get around 32mpg over the same journey in a 2.0TDI Golf.

Soldato
Just something I was wondering. Those of us who use our cars mainly for short, stop start journeys have to deal with pretty horrific fuel economy (Due to the Air/Fuel ratio being completely out of whack due to the engine trying to warm-up ASAP by running extremely lean).

Engines need to run rich when cold, not lean, because the heat isn't available to vaporise the fuel and get a homogeneous mixture.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16536766 said:
19-21mpg from mine - 5 miles from cold, through town.

this going to work and around 30-32mpg for the way back (mostly downhill so I freewheel when possible)

This is driving fuel conscientiously. At the moment my average for the tank so far is 21mpg (after half tank)

Soldato
Shortest journey i did and actually reset the mpg calc for that purpose was 8 miles, averaged 46.2mpg. However it was a more or less straight run at 2am to a mates place on the north circ with me barely ticking over at 55 in 6th. I do find the car a bit tank-like and letargic for the first 2-3 miles or so until the engine warms up (06 320D SE manual), worse in winter. Averaged 35mpg over the last 415 miles with the trip saying about 40 miles left, all urban and rush hour A road driving, so roughly 450 to the tank.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Engines need to run rich when cold, not lean, because the heat isn't available to vaporise the fuel and get a homogeneous mixture.

D'oh, that's embarrassing! To be honest I did have a think it was Rich, but wasn't 150% sure so I decided to Google it and went with whatever the first hit told me :o.

[TW]Fox;16536959 said:
You must be mistaken, he is a fully qualified somethingorother at a dealer and therefore knows best.

Quiet You.

Back
Top Bottom