Watercooling block for 5770

Man of Honour
I had a 5770 and ended up getting rid of it due to the trouble of finding a block that will actually fit. The problem is the small 62mm distance between the mounting holes. None of the normal universal blocks fit apart from the MCW-60 and even then modding is required. That just leaves the XSPC X20 VGA which is ancient and the Zalman ZM-GWB3 which is a joke due to the id of the revolving barbs reducing to a ridiculous 3mm!! The full cover block is ridiculously priced seeing as it's almost half the price of the card.

The best thing would be to try to find a aftermarket air cooler that will fit.

Associate
My friend has a pair of crossfired 5770s which he watercooled. He was forced to go for the XSPC x20 VGA core only blocks (for the reasons pastymuncher has already mentioned).

While they're cheap and do the job I'd advise against it. Those blocks are the worst bit of PC hardware I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

Terrible mounting system, irregularities between "identical" blocks, leaky/wonky threads, lack of gaps between threads for larger sized fittings and leaks between base and top of the block.

The mod for the MCW-60 (from what I read when my friend was thinking of water cooling his cards) involves drilling out the holes in the PCB of the GPU to be slightly larger. Not exactly a risk free option.

Back
Top Bottom