Nvidia GPU for PCI X16 1.0

Associate
Hey, I have a system I want to put a GPU in for 24/7 running of a sicintific application like seti@home but don't want to have to upgrade the motherboard on it - I'm pretty dure this is a X16 just not 2.0 and was wondering what GPUs I could have supported by this system?
Thanks (PS I don't want to have to upgrade the mobo)

J.B

J.B

Soldato
why do you need a graphics card at all, it's only going to use power up.

Connect to it using RDP or something like that?

WHat is the make and model of the motherboard or post a picture.

Soldato
why do you need a graphics card at all, it's only going to use power up.

I imagine that the OP is planning to make use of the incredible parallel processing capability of a powerful graphics card to power his distributed computing system. Since a GPU when run properly can be orders of magnitude faster than a CPU in these kinds of tasks, it does make sense. Here is the CUDA based version of SETI@home, they advertise it as:

This version runs from 2X to 10X faster than the CPU-only version. We urge SETI@home participants to use it if possible.

As for the graphics card running in a PCIe v1 x16 slot - this will be fine. This slot has the same bandwidth as a PCIe v2 x8 slot - and according to these tests the performance dip in a top-end GTX 480 is tiny.

However, I would suggest against supporting the SETI program, bad things could happen :D

Back
Top Bottom