Need a new case

Associate
My current case is an Alienware one from an older computer.
The current set up is an i7 920 @ 4GHz with an nVidia GTX-285.
Things are running a bit toasty in there at the moment though, and I don't think the Alienware is supplying much air through the case.

My number one thing is to get better airflow, but the second thing is to keep noise at a minimum. If necessary I'd replace the fans in the new case with quieter alternatives.

I'm looking for something full-tower sized. So far I've sort of narrowed it down to the HAF 932 or the Obsidian 700D. I'm not too fussed about looks (I know the HAF is fugly!) once the cooling is good, plenty of space and good cable management. The Obsidian is very expensive though.

Currently I'm using a Corsair H50, but could possibly upgrade to a full water cooling setup at some stage in the distant future.

TIA.

Associate
I three suggest a Lian Li case, absolute perfection when it comes down to them. I'd suggest this beauty
p80rq004s.jpg

at only £30.00 <cough> £300.00

Last edited:
Soldato
Things are running a bit toasty in there at the moment though, and I don't think the Alienware is supplying much air through the case.
Aliencraps I saw few years ago had pretty much the most craptacular fan vents I've ever seen.

but the second thing is to keep noise at a minimum. If necessary I'd replace the fans in the new case with quieter alternatives.
Noise problem isn't the case fans, it's cooling components:
You simply can't drop cooling fan speeds of very high end CPU and GPU without temperature jumping up.
It's really as simple as that if you can see components through holes and meshes (like in HAF) so can their noise get out unmuffled. Case without direct noise escape paths can muffle their noises some/change noise profile to less disturbing.

Lian Li A71F would be well noise containing especially after lining it with mass damping like bitumen mat (still weighting less than steel cases) but fitting bigger radiator would require either modding top or getting top cover with fan holes.
Coolermaster ATCS 840 would have "ready holes" on top and could take triple radiator without modding but normally that top could leak noise out.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-159-CM

Euugh, thats hideous :p
And some rather bad design points.
But isn't the most important aspect of case to look like as cheap bling bling as possible...

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.

From looking at a few reviews it appears the Coolermaster ATCS 840 is the best for air-cooled systems out there, and could also house a water cooling system if I ever pluck up the courage to fill my machine with liquid.

Anything else to add to the debate?

Associate
I have a Coolermaster atcs 840 and I am really happy with it. I don't think the build quality is going to be as spot-on perfect as the Lian Li (I had to use some blu tack to stop a vibration noise on one panel) but I think its really good value for money and very well designed. I personally wouldnt choose to the Lian Li or the Obsidian over the 840. Its not a noisy case as the top two fans are low RPM, huge 230mm fans.

Caporegime
I have a Coolermaster atcs 840 and I am really happy with it. I don't think the build quality is going to be as spot-on perfect as the Lian Li (I had to use some blu tack to stop a vibration noise on one panel) but I think its really good value for money and very well designed. I personally wouldnt choose to the Lian Li or the Obsidian over the 840. Its not a noisy case as the top two fans are low RPM, huge 230mm fans.

+1
..minus the blutack problem tho :)

Caporegime
Is airflow as good through the Lian-Li though? I read it's more suited to water cooling, and the Coolermaster for air.

Cant comment on the Lian-Li but as for the Coolermaster (which is also fine for w/c) air flow isnt an issue. As mentioned it has 2 x 230mm roof fans, 1 x 120mm rear and 1 x 230mm front intake fan.... you can also add a further 3 x 120mm fans inside. Oh and ALL the intake fans are filtered including the PSU.

Associate
Is airflow as good through the Lian-Li though? I read it's more suited to water cooling, and the Coolermaster for air.

It's pretty good for airflow, as mentioned above the air filters are very well designed - the bottom intake for the 120mm fan, and the front 230mm fan both have filters which slide out and can be removed without removing screws etc, which is one of the criticisms of the Lian Li, as far as I know.

Soldato
Would need thorough testing but despite of ATCS's big fans that might not translate into more efficient cooling:
It could use some better airflow control because especially frontmost top fan is forward and rather far from components needing airflow so air pushed in by intake fan is partially drawn to wrong direction. (adding 2x120mm to HDD cage should direct airflow better towards components)

Without top holes Lian Li's airflow again is very strictly controlled from lower front past components and out from rear.

There's one very hot CPU (guaranteed with those volts) here in this thread and that PSU's positioning to top has actually reduced heat exhaust capacity of the case compared to what it would be with PSU on bottom and fan on rear top:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18133546&page=3

Caporegime
Ive found the A70F to be very good for airflow, also the front fan filters are a doddle to remove, literally takes a few seconds. Pull the entire front panel off and the filters can then be unclipped, no need for a screwdriver at all.

Soldato
Lots of variety in Silverstones and most of them peculiar designs, mostly overrated but some are very good for certain limited uses: Most not so configurable, and turned layout cases have E-ATX tower's footprint but just fair midi-towers inside space.
So would need to know specific model.

Back
Top Bottom