• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 470 or 5870?

Associate
The title kinda says it all, i game at 1920x1080 and in 2-3 months i plan on buying another one the same cards as i do now, so i guess the best way of looking at it is, which is better 5870 crossfire or gtx 470 sli?

Taking into account how well they scale etc etc.

Soldato
5870 xfire, less power used, a lot lower temps and better performance in the majority of games.

470 can be had for £260 and you get very good performance that can match 5870 xfire in some games and of course you have physx and 3D vision, and better tessellation performance, downsides are higher power consumption, higher temps.

If I were to buy cards today, it would be the 470 SLI [ especially at £260 a card ] reviews show scaling to be very good and they overclock well, the performance increase scales better when overclocking with 470 than the 5870, and their DX11 tessellation performance is better than ATI.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well you see, here is the problem Raven, my purchase is with OcUK using their online finance, so im tied to overclockers for my gfx card, bearing that in mind i would go for the zotac card and being about £320 its a lot more than your quoted 260 which must be another etailer.

Associate
OP
In that case forget the 470's. I have the 5870 but if I could go back and buy a 5850 instead I would because the 5850 overclocks past 5870 speeds for fun and is cheaper, it is the best bang for buck. I would suggest you forget the 5870 and maybe consider the Asus 5850 below.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-225-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411

Well.... the finance is already all arranged, deposit payed, paperwork sent back to finance company, dispatch is either today or monday who knows, so i would really have to keep the cost the same, bearing in mind iv chosen to go with the asus 5870 the obvious choice would be to go with the zotac 470 which is almost identical in price making life easier and not complicating matters with having to pay more or issue refunds etc.

So final call... zotac 470 or asus 5870 and OC the nuts off it 0o ?

Associate
OP
Hmm thanks Raven, at least this has helped me feel good knowing iv made the right choice here.

Oh btw im upgrading from a radeon 3850 AGP and athlon 64 3500+ with 1 gig ram :p, to the soon to arrive i7 920, 5870, 6 gigs ddr3 etc 0o, to be honest i have no idea what kinda improvments to expect lol, hopefully ill be pleasantly suprised!

Associate
OP
Wow, wish I could see your face when you play your first game on this new machine, Its going to be a massive upgrade!

:) this will be my first full 100% build from start to end, i might decide to do a build log of it in the correct forum section, i dunno yet.... got so many parts to go into this, but im sure people around these forums are already bored and dont wanna see another antec 1200, 5870, i7 920 build...... Besides i dont have a decent camera, i doubt my samsung mobile is gonna take decent enough pics, i think its like 8 mega pixels or so, not sure how that fairs vs a stand alone camera.

Associate
im amazed u kept ur old rig for so long oh well guess its served u well, I do hope ur not only playing WOW thou

on a side note RichardH754 how u finding that 9800gt working out for u on the physx just got me a 9500gt to do the same thing for cheap as chips think i should bother or just sell it off

Associate
Kynd u should find that a samsung phone @ 8 megpixels gives decent pictures just make sure u take them in the right lighting.

cant get bored of to many build logs, I've done loads of builds but it never stops me looking at other peoples builds as u never know when a simple idea will crop up that u never thought of

Associate
OP
im amazed u kept ur old rig for so long oh well guess its served u well, I do hope ur not only playing WOW thou

on a side note RichardH754 how u finding that 9800gt working out for u on the physx just got me a 9500gt to do the same thing for cheap as chips think i should bother or just sell it off

:D yeah i bought it all new in like 2005, originally came with a (Leadteck? dunno if i spelt that brand right) 6800gt, which broke down 3 days after its 1 year warrenty, dont ever buy that brand -.-, anyways its served me okish... but its so slow when trying to play anything modern, i already own dirt2, batman arkham and i will buy bfbc2 for sure as i love my fps games :), so i really look forward to those.

Associate
OP
I have just noticed the deal on the 5770s by Fatboy 0o, he had to go throw a spanner into the works did'nt he lol... ok so i guess you could see this coming but ill ask anyways, the mobo ill be using is the P6X58D-E sooooooo 5870 or really go wild and spend roughly the same cash and go tri fire 5770 :O?, im just abit hesitent because iv been google'ing some benchies and scaleing is somewhat random, dunno if its improved since guru3d did their tri 5770 review.

Soldato
so slowly these cards are starting show worth?

Thats exactly what happend with the GTX 260. 192 core version released for £300. everyone laughs etc. Then you get die shrink, 216 cores, a couple of big driver updates, price drop, price drop, price drop and everyone is snapping them up for £140 9 months later.

Associate
OP
Since i noticed the ASUS gtx 470s come into stock at £298.99 including vat, im seriously tempted to go sli a pair.

Soldato
Hmm thanks Raven, at least this has helped me feel good knowing iv made the right choice here.

Oh btw im upgrading from a radeon 3850 AGP and athlon 64 3500+ with 1 gig ram :p, to the soon to arrive i7 920, 5870, 6 gigs ddr3 etc 0o, to be honest i have no idea what kinda improvments to expect lol, hopefully ill be pleasantly suprised!

I went from an athlon 3500, 2gb 400mhz ram, 6800GT to an i7 920 at 3.4ghz, 1600mhz corsair ram and 5870.

The difference is absolutely ridiculous, you will like it a lot.(i went from not being able to play Crysis at all to playing it at 1920x1200 very high all.)

Back
Top Bottom