Going abroad

Associate
Off to Barcelona next week, got an o2 3G and would like to avoid any daft charges inadvertently. What should I be turning off?

Thanks

Associate
ye disable data roaming, heard far too many horror stories of people usiing data while abroad and getting charged like £3 a meg, which ends up with them having a bill of about £100 or more just for data.

Caporegime
Yeah it didnt help me in the US - came back to a £70 charge - some my fault, some I thought maybe due to the bloody alerts Ive setup which I hadnt worked out how to switch off without removing them all...

It has to be said without a data connection the iPhone is a very boring device :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
that link it seems to be o2 users who are having data charges with the data roaming option disabled, personally being on vodafone i'd like to see what their users have to say myself, since i'm of to turkey in june

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

To clear that thread up..

Roaming is disabled by default. This means your iPhone cannot use data until it is turned on. Fact.

If you're getting charged, it's because you've made a voice call (which still works when roaming is disabled).

Associate
dont take this wrong but after reading several forums it seems there is an issue with many people being charged for data usage abroad whilst the data roaming is off, so it's either a iphone firmware issue or it's down to phone companies having billing issues. not disputing the fact it shouldnt happen but it seems it has happened with quite a few people.

Soldato
The one thing I'd make sure you switch off is 'Notifications'.
As if you do need to use your phone for Data and switch roaming on, you won't get Apps like Facebook, or Ebay or whatever else using data in the background to tell you that you have a new message etc...

Back
Top Bottom