VW Beetle

Associate
Hello all.

I have been considering getting a Beetle for a while now and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

When I say beetle, I mean a proper one, not that travesty that came out recently. :)

I was thinking pre 1973 to save on road tax.

So do you guys think it is possible to pick up a usable one for between £1000-1500? Obviously it wouldn't be mint, but perhaps something that is not failing apart?

So what you reckon?

Thanks.

Soldato
That's not enough for even a half decent bug, really. They're very very expensive these days.

Plus late model ones are ugly, the ones that look nice are even older and vastly more expensive.

Associate
OP
Hmm, it is not just the tax, but I do like the cars too.

Seems perhaps I am asking on the wrong forum.

If I can't afford one at that price, that is fair enough, although I don't mind doing a little work on it myself.

Soldato

If I can't afford one at that price, that is fair enough, although I don't mind doing a little work on it myself.

if you want an old VAG get mk1 golf :) cool car.. beetle is really out of your budget..

Soldato

They got too popular for their own good and now command ridiculous money. Honestly, £1500 won't get you a bug you'll actually want to own, and even DIYing it isn't cheap because all the parts command ridiculous money as well

Soldato
So is a Mk1 really...

£1.5k can find you a very nice non-GTi.

Mine was valued for insurance purposes at £2k but miles low milage, garaged, well looked after, etc.

Just look out for fuel filler pipe (rear wheel arch) they rot away nicely as well as making sure there is no **** in the in-line fuel filter, which means that the tank is contaminated and will cause serious issues down the line...

Associate
OP
Mk1 Golf GTi would be ideal, but I fear insurance might be a little too much.

I can see that I am going to stuggle with the Beetle at that price, so perhaps someone can think of something cheap and a little quirky that is cheap to insure and run instead?

Grudas, that beetle does look good, but my problem with cars with no MOT is if it was easy and cheap to get the MOT, surely the owner would have done so to sell the car at a much higher price?

Thanks all.

Associate
OP
Hmm, anyone have any experience with Lancaster Insurance? :) Basically, just did a quote for a Golf Mk1 GTi and they are coming out a lot cheaper than anyone else.

They only want £385 fully comp, whereas the next cheapest is £650.

Interesting...

Soldato
Mk1 Golf GTi would be ideal, but I fear insurance might be a little too much.

I can see that I am going to stuggle with the Beetle at that price, so perhaps someone can think of something cheap and a little quirky that is cheap to insure and run instead?

Grudas, that beetle does look good, but my problem with cars with no MOT is if it was easy and cheap to get the MOT, surely the owner would have done so to sell the car at a much higher price?

Thanks all.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1693570.htm

A 1.6 Mk2 Golf is cheap to insure, my Mk2 is costing me £450 a year and I'm 20.

A Mk2 GTi 8v isn't that much more to insure though, and can be had for around the same price!

Associate
OP
I think I am getting the vibe that the Beetle is out of my price range. :)

Although it makes no difference to the Beetle idea, perhaps I should point out that in general, things like fuel costs don't matter as much to me since I do between 1500-3000 miles a year only.

So while overall cheapness is a big consideration, it does not need to be a mile muncher.

That is why the Beetle idea came up in the first place.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16548355 said:
Are you going to get any other forms of Nazi memorabilia or just the beetle?

LOL :p

To be fair they are quite cool retro cars, but I wouldn't want one personally... I'd imagine you'd have to pay a fair bit to get one that isn't a shed or hiding expensive underlying issues, plus the engines in those things make such a racket! Certainly get the attention of passers by, although probably not for the right reason ;)

Back
Top Bottom