Encrypting / password protecting a flash drive

Soldato
Hi guys,

I need to encrypt/password protect several usb flash drives; I need to be able to use them on lots of different machines and potentially different operating systems – although cross-os compatibility is not essential.

Any ideas? I'm sure there are some (free is possible?) encryption tools that can be installed just on the flash drive and be run from there.

Cheers!

Soldato
Would I not have to install truecrypt on every machine that I used the drive on though?

Yes, if that's a problem then there arnt really many non-commercial options.

Could you use an encrypted zip/rar archive for your data? They offer very strong encryption and chances are there will be some archive software pre-installed.

Have a scan of this thread, the problem was discussed recently: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18137704

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys!

I've just downloaded usb drive encryption, and it does seem easy to use and do what I want :)

I'm a bit worried about the free download thing though? They're not suddenly going to want money off me mid-use are they? I was hoping to put this on quite a few drives and for quite a few people...

Soldato
OP
It's already started asking me to buy...

Back to the drawing board; I like truecrypt (I'll be using it) but I don't think it will suit everyone - remembering to mount/dis-mount etc. The login prompt of usb drive encryption was excellent :)

Is there anything else out there that is similar, that's free?

Associate
Wondershare USB Drive Encryption is cost-effective encryption tool designed to password protect USB devices for storing vital data. Its 256-bit AES encryption allows you to achieve military-level security with easy and affordable solution. With Wondershare USB Drive Encryption, you'll never worry about losing your vital data stored on USB storage media.

Key Features:

* Get the highest-level protection for your data through its US military-level 256-bit AES algorithm.
* Create a password protected and resizeable secure area for sensitive information.
* View encrypted data with password in any computer even without USB Drive Encryption installed.
* Hide your encrypted data by deleting the access to it to get more protection.
* Protect encrypted data from viruses under read-only mode.
* Support various USB devices, such as USB sticks, external hard drives, camera cards, and other portable storage media.
* Easy-to-use, no administrator privileges required.

Important:

To activate the software, you are requested to register on the manufacturers page (full version, free of charge). Then you can get a registration code, with which you can activate the software.

stop press:
This maybe the same thing but you get a keycode with this one .
You dont even need a legit email addy or name to get the code , just make one up to get the 25 digit code .

h**p://www.wondershare.com/store/giveaway-of-the-day/10-may-13.html

Soldato
Wondershare said:
It's impossible to crack this kind of password.

Wondershare said:
Complete Security - Whatever information, files, folders and documents you put on your USB drive, USB Drive Encryption keeps them completely secured.

Ahh I love cryptography marketing techniques... :p

Soldato
OP
Wondershare USB Drive Encryption is cost-effective encryption tool designed to password protect USB devices for storing vital data. Its 256-bit AES encryption allows you to achieve military-level security with easy and affordable solution. With Wondershare USB Drive Encryption, you'll never worry about losing your vital data stored on USB storage media.

Key Features:

* Get the highest-level protection for your data through its US military-level 256-bit AES algorithm.
* Create a password protected and resizeable secure area for sensitive information.
* View encrypted data with password in any computer even without USB Drive Encryption installed.
* Hide your encrypted data by deleting the access to it to get more protection.
* Protect encrypted data from viruses under read-only mode.
* Support various USB devices, such as USB sticks, external hard drives, camera cards, and other portable storage media.
* Easy-to-use, no administrator privileges required.

Important:

To activate the software, you are requested to register on the manufacturers page (full version, free of charge). Then you can get a registration code, with which you can activate the software.

stop press:
This maybe the same thing but you get a keycode with this one .
You dont even need a legit email addy or name to get the code , just make one up to get the 25 digit code .

h**p://www.wondershare.com/store/giveaway-of-the-day/10-may-13.html
Excellent, thanks for that!

I've also been dabbling with a free app called safehouse this afternoon - it seems okay?

Associate
just got an email from wondershare already .

.........................................Notes: You must register with your keycode before the end of our giveaway activity, or your keycode will be invalid. And each keycode can be only registered once............................................

well thats ,that , I wont been using this software . I hate software like this .I dont want to have to register any software . This wasn't made clear on their website.

Soldato
just got an email from wondershare already .

.........................................Notes: You must register with your keycode before the end of our giveaway activity, or your keycode will be invalid. And each keycode can be only registered once............................................

well thats ,that , I wont been using this software . I hate software like this .I dont want to have to register any software . This wasn't made clear on their website.

I just went here http://www.wondershare.com/store/giveaway-of-the-day/10-may-13.html entered an email address and a "name" then it instantly told me my key (and emailed it to me)
Doesn't really require registration, or is there some reg form when you attempt to activate it?

also: http://www.mailinator.com/

Soldato
If you have access to a Windows 7 machine running Enterprise, then run bitlocker on each flash drive.

Whenever the drive is inserted into any pc it will ask for the password and then open up for you to use. You would only need access to the Win 7 Ent machine again to perform a full decrypt.

It is what I do and it works perfect.

Soldato
TrueCrypt containers on the flash drives is how I do it, with the TrueCrypt installer on the root of the flash drive and also on the root I stick a folder with the runnable/portable version of TrueCrypt.

Though doesn't Win7 have some flash drive encryption stuff in Bitlocker?

Associate
I just went here http://www.wondershare.com/store/giveaway-of-the-day/10-may-13.html entered an email address and a "name" then it instantly told me my key (and emailed it to me)
Doesn't really require registration, or is there some reg form when you attempt to activate it?

also: http://www.mailinator.com/

I dont know as I have not used it , but normally if you have to enter a key on installation you normally dont have to activate the same software by visiting the makers website .Dont like this sort of stuff . It could be gathering info and sending it out when you visit . Has been known .

Associate
We recently had this same requirement at work after the Information and security officer wern't best pleased! I had looked into it before and tried truecrypt also, but really I just wanted an autoplay option to come up, enter password and your in.

In the end I found folder lock to be the best option, it has a portability option on there that places an autorun and exe. So I basically created a 75 GB locker on usb drive which folder lock encrypts and makes it operational on any pc in an instant without having any additional software on the client.

http://tinypic.com/r/k99ac3/5

Back
Top Bottom