• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

anyone disapointed with 5000s series

Associate
Went from a 8600GTS to a 5770, RMAd it because it was faulty, bought a 5850 instead, because i knew it would give me more mileage. Excellent card, cost 2.5 as much as the 8600, but I guess thats the price you pay for such a superior product right?
Plus, wass effect has inflation had on prices?

Soldato
You cant really say 58*0 are worth the money because they are xx% faster than the last genaration. If that was the case, all cards would be in the £1000s by now. You have got to expect some progression. The £/$ point is fair enough, but it doesn't make them any more buyable to me. I suppose I made a good buy when I bought the GTX 260 for £138.99 last April. The 5850 is a good card but I don't think it's a very good buy to someone like myself who is upgrading from a £130-140 GTX 260/4890 that's over a year old. the only way I would spend £250-£320 (today's cheapest in-stock OcUK 5850 & 5870 prices) would be if it was a huge upgrade. If it got to the point that my card was running games at 25fps and the new card was going to make that 80fps. That's probably a long way off.

Associate
the 5xxx series cards, cost to power ratio, is still way too high..for a card nearly a year into its life cycle.

I may be wrong, and am fine for this to be pointed out, but the 5850's cost/performance ratio, not to mention its power/noise/temp mean it sits really well at its price point- I can't really think of a better value option for a single reasonably sized monitor in a reasonably noise, temp and powered machine. It ll run with the big boys and ATI must agree and be pretty sure of this, else they would have dropped prices and utterly slain the 470.

Soldato
I may be wrong, and am fine for this to be pointed out, but the 5850's cost/performance ratio, not to mention its power/noise/temp mean it sits really well at its price point- I can't really think of a better value option for a single reasonably sized monitor in a reasonably noise, temp and powered machine. It ll run with the big boys and ATI must agree and be pretty sure of this, else they would have dropped prices and utterly slain the 470.

Yes but that's only comparing it to other cards of the same generation. If a 6850 was released next month for £450 and a 6870 for £630, would you say that the 6850 was a bargain?

Soldato
Bought an Asus 5850 a couple of months ago, o/cs quite well with a bit of voltage increase (1000/1200), more than happy with it, so have just bought a 2nd one for my other system...

Associate
I would not go so far as to say I am disappointed with it but I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. Saphire 5870 Vapour X, eats through BC2 but then I am only on 1680x1050 and my 260 managed that easily enough.

I suppose once you hit a certain level of performance though anything above that is meh. Hey ho lesson learned.

Soldato
I was playing metro the other day at 4.4GHz fine, then I enabled physx and my computer just shut off after around 2 minutes playtime.

I assume the extra physx calculations on my 260s drew too much current for my PSU to handle :/ May try playing again at a lower CPU clock.

The thing is, I didn't notice anything except a bunch of fog, some extra debris and effects when shooting stuff...and a pretty significant loss of performance
Still not convinced by this physx stuff.

Associate
My 1Gb 4850 cost me £73.99 (brand new) form OC....in July 2009.

The 5850 which is roughly x2 as powerful costs more than x3 as much.......

Anyone who thinks a 5850 is worth more than £150 at this stage in its lifecycle is a moron with more money than brains.

The 5*** series is on a much dearer manufacturing process,With worse yeilds.It was alway going to be dearer.You bought your card over a year after release so see what the price of the 5850 is at the end of september(I think thats when it launched).The 5*** is cooler and more energy efficent than the 4*** this can be a big factor for people with poor cooling or are mindful of the electric bill.Plus it has new features eyefinity etc that may be of benefit to some people.

Associate
Yes but that's only comparing it to other cards of the same generation. If a 6850 was released next month for £450 and a 6870 for £630, would you say that the 6850 was a bargain?

Well, that is utterly dependant on performance. If the 6000 series pushes hard, using the headroom that is clearly available with the 5000 series chip size, thermals and power usage with some architecture developments AND on a smaller process...it could well be worth that- start making them and if it spanks a 480 which seems a dead cert...what is going to challenge it? If nothing challenges it, ATI wont have to release a fabulous new budget card. They can just get it into production and sit on it, selling 5850's till something makes them change tack.

Anyone who thinks a 5850 is worth more than £150 at this stage in its lifecycle is a moron with more money than brains.

Which stage in its lifecycle do you mean? It is hardly going obsloete- I would hazard to say it is still in its prime.

Associate
I absolutley love my 5870's and i moved from a GTX295... i know i know silly boy! the only thing i have against ATI is that after being a long time geen fan i noticed driver issues when i never really experienced any before.

Associate
well if someone is not happy with there 5970 ill swap for my xfx4890s great head room to overclock
ive mine running 960clock and 1050mem...im really very happy with this setup and couldn't really justify spending 500pounds for dx11

Soldato
It's no more an important card than the 8800GT was when that was released for about £130. P

The cheapest 8800GT at release was £154, I know as I bought one :p They then quickly shot up to £180-190. The £ was also a hell of a lot stronger back then.

My 1Gb 4850 cost me £73.99 (brand new) form OC....in July 2009.

The 5850 which is roughly x2 as powerful costs more than x3 as much.......

But twice as powerful could mean the difference between very playable and laggy as hell.

yes. My 5770 is pretty bad, and the drivers ain't too great, but seems to have improved. Still saving, and waiting too see if nVidia's GTX485 will come, just like the 280>285 :)

What issues have you had with the drivers? I've yet to encounter any on either platform (other than some dodgy nVidia betas, but then you can't really count betas).

Associate
It's 25% faster than 4890 which is not to be sniffed at especially since the 5850 is the mid range card and not the top card. Probably 40%+ if your overclock your 5850 past 5870 speeds.

And as for price, I am getting fed up having to keep pointing out exchange rate differences.

The 4850 you bought £130 two years ago had a RRP of $239 at launch when you got $2 to the pound.

The 5850 had a list price of $259 at launch although I admit since then ATI has upped the price slightly.

So for a card which costs $20 more two years later and is around 60% faster I think it's good value.

I think your missing the point mate, so no need to get so fed up :)
we aren't buying from an American retailer. We are referring to buying in this country. Just because a lot of stuff by ocuk gets bought in from the states in $ we only buy stuff in £ so any comparisons there ate irrelevant. Consumers don't care where the suppliers get thier stuff from, that's the suppliers problem. And if the suppliers can't provide good price comparisons in £ from generation to generation then it's jot the consumers fault as they didn't choose to buy stiff from abroad, the suppliers did! The consumers dame to you direct. Else we would all just buy direct from abroad ourselves. The $ to £ is ocuk issue. It's good for consumers to be aware, so thank you. But you have to understand that ocuk have to provide us with products that ate comparable in £ between gen to gen.

If we still had $2 to the pound at 5850 launch they would have only been £150 to buy instead of the £197 I paid for mine.

Back
Top Bottom