what could this be?

Associate
ok i just got my 4ghz bundle back and although its a lot more stable with a lot lower volts it still instantly resets sometimes.... reset on me just before i typed this in... now i figured it was a mem problem but i ran memtest overnight and there was no errors at all over like 8/9 passes... so i dont think its the memory i've turned off auto reset and it still doesnt flag up any errors... just instant reset.... any ideas on what this could be? i could be playing a game for hours and be fine but when i am just browsing or installing something it will just reset... PSU issue? its a corsair HX 1000w and its running dual vapor x 5870's, asus d2x sound card and my bundle with dual velociraptor HDDs in raid 0... thats it... would that be a big enough drain to lose all power? or is there anything im missing to check here?

any help greatly appreciated thanks
Chris

Soldato
ah good news is the its normal for a ud5 to this....mine has never done but loads of people on here have the same problem. If i remember right its down to the voltage of some sort. If you search the UD5 threads you should find the fix :D

Associate
I could run all that on my 850watt so.. can't be the PSU Altho i do read people having problems with the HX1000 because it is two 500watt PSUs in one case so you need to make sure you're evenly connecting the power cables@ the connection plate so both PSUs are used i guess.. i could be wrong but theres no harm in trying it little things like this somtimes solve problems.
If not i guess you could try uppting the volts on you're VVT mem and cpu but if it is a overclocked bundle i think you can just send a webnote.

Soldato
I could run all that on my 850watt so.. can't be the PSU Altho i do read people having problems with the HX1000 because it is two 500watt PSUs in one case so you need to make sure you're evenly connecting the power cables@ the connection plate so both PSUs are used i guess.. i could be wrong but theres no harm in trying it little things like this somtimes solve problems.
If not i guess you could try uppting the volts on you're VVT mem and cpu but if it is a overclocked bundle i think you can just send a webnote.

Its wont be the psu, the above has been well documented on the UD5's also do not change any voltages in the bios without sending a webnote to ocuk at least. It will amke their job of supporting the bunles harder and can invailate your warrenty :)

Associate
OP
been searching and finding the problem but no fix as far as i can tell... it seems some people are saying windows 7 problem... tried googling and people are saying something about the power settings in bios... but cant see a fix for the life of me, really frustrating:mad: haha

Chris

Associate
ive had the ex 58 ud5 running for 8months now i74ghz xfire 4890s 2hdd raid 0 blu ray 750w psu so it aint your psu...i have seen post with others on a ex 58 ud5 board getting random shutdowns and problems with cold boot..

Associate
OP
getting more frustrated with this as time goes by... will send a webnote to ocuk but its really annoying... played bad company 2 all settings maxed at 1920x1200 for 2 hours flawlessly, google map BAM, reset no error no warning no loss of power... just instant reset followed by post but it does do the multiple boot startup aswell.... i figured it could be ram voltage but ive tried both 1.66 and 1.68 thinking of vdroop but no luck... made it a little better if anything... tried upping qpi from auto to 1.35 and 1.415 again no difference... frustrating as hell:mad: anyone came across a fix or a suggestion would be welcomed with thanks!

thanks
Chris

Associate
OP
just tried those settings demon and still no joy... with those settings i got bsod 0001d because of qpi... reset the qpi voltage then got bsod 00101(vcore?) guess i'll just have to see what OCUK say about it :(

thanks again

Chris

Soldato
My UD5 went through a period of powering off just after powering on, refusing to power up then powering up by itself etc etc. Would occasionally corrupt its BIOS and have to auto recover. Never would reset if it had decided to boot though - it would be rock stable. It was just when I re-cased the rig a new case though - no problems in old case. I later found it was fine with the new case power button disconnected, or the power button from another case pluged in. So I was sure it was the case power button and was going to RMA the new case. Funny thing is i plugged in the new case power button one last time and have had no problems for a couple of weeks?? Weird. It probably is some annoying impossible to nail down sensitivity of the mobo (maybe in conjunction with something funny about my power switch in my case) - especially if the UD5 is apparently famous for these sorts of problem.

Try without the case buttons/LEDs plugged in and use the power buttons on the mobo and windows shutdown - you never know, it might just work :)

Associate
OP
i dunno liam but what i do know is it likes doing it especially during stuff like youtube or something... flash based video the most and also during super pi but i've just loaded optimized defaults and it done the 32m on super pi without resetting and its not reset since either... im guessing its just something to do with a voltage on the overclock... another thing i noticed.... if i load optimized defaults it will work flawlessly but trying to play battlefield it will stutter every so often then crash out... needing a hard reset each time, one time i had gray horizontal lines but they were moving and had to hard reset but i've been reading about this error aswell i dont suppose it could be my 5870's? or just the cpu wasnt high enough to take enough load off of the cards for heat... either way i dunno... plays l4d2 fine still

chris

Associate
OP
kinda solved, was on the corsair site and my ram is said to be spd at 1333 but tested to 1600 with 1.65 volts... so ive got it at 1146 and my random reset has gone.... im guessing my ram just doesnt wanna hit 1600... might get some new ram later on rated for 2000 and see if it'll hit that or if it could be my mobo and just being picky with the rated speeds... if anyone else has a suggestion to get it to 1600mhz im all ears but for now im gonna just be happy with it underclocked and no resetting

thanks

Back
Top Bottom