I think my motherboard is failing

Soldato
Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a strange problem with my PC at present.

At the moment, I can't get into Windows 7 (64 bit).

When I start up, even from CD, the usual stuff happens until it gets to the 'Windows Starting' logo.

At this point, the PC will either lock on this, or a blank screen will be shown.

Around this time the PS2 keyboard num lock key switches off and so do all of my USB devices and then it stays like this.

Is there anything else that it could be, or am I definitely looking at a motherboard issue?

I really want to carry over my Phenom 2 x4 CPU because it was a recent purchase and wasn't cheap as well as my 6gb of DDR2 memory.

All help greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David

Soldato
OP
Hey Neoalex & Razor Time,

Thank you for your help, I did try resetting to bios defaults but that didn't seem to help - but I haven't tried Safe Mode yet.

Is getting into Safe Mode just a case of holding down F8 like in previous versions?

Thank you again for your help so far,

Kind Regards,

David

Soldato
I would fire in a Linux live CD such as Ubuntu and boot off that to see if the same things happens..

*edit* Just seen you mentioned it happens when you start up from CD also?

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Neoalex & Razor Time,
Is getting into Safe Mode just a case of holding down F8 like in previous versions?
David

As far as I know yes. If you are able to enter safe-mode type MSCONFIG on the search tab that comes once you press the start button. Press on the MSCONFIG and go to services, then check the box that says hide all microsoft services. Then disable all the remaining services and reboot. That might solve the problem if you can enter safe mode though:D It could be that one of those services is messing up your startup.

Let me know how it goes.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the help and advice everyone;

I tried safe mode and repair as well as last known good configuration - but still the same thing.

When I did get into safe mode, I just had a mouse icon on my desktop, but my mouse stopped responding and my keyboard num-lock was working.

In sheer desperation, I dismantled my PC completely; took my 4 sticks of memory out, took my video card out, and disconnected all power and sata cables.

Anyhow, I blew out the dust, checked the motherboard PCB for cracks, burn marks; as well as checking the caps etc. for bulging or leaking...the whole thing was fine.

Put it all back together and it booted into Windows 7 fine...so could have been a loose connection, or just the dust...I really don't know!

Thank you, everyone, for all your help!

Hopefully my computer will behave better now...

Kind Regards,

David

Back
Top Bottom