Thinkpad power jack

Soldato
Bit of a long shot but wondering if anyone has repaired a power jack on a thinkpad T41 ?

The ac adapter when plugged in is loose and apparently you can use a paper clip to bend a metal strip but im unsure where I should be sticking the paper clip and pulling.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Bit of a long shot but wondering if anyone has repaired a power jack on a thinkpad T41 ?

The ac adapter when plugged in is loose and apparently you can use a paper clip to bend a metal strip but im unsure where I should be sticking the paper clip and pulling.

In the socket, there'll be the pin in the centre and at some point on the outer edge of the socket, there'll be a spring-loaded-contact. That contact is what you need to hook the paperclip under and bend towards the centre pin (but ensure you keep a good 1.5mm of clearance between them otherwise you might damage the socket when inserting the jack.

<edit> looking at my T41 - i can't see how you'd fit a paperclip under the contact, because it's rather wide and there aren't large gaps on it's sides - a Jack replacement may be your only option.

If that's unsuccessful, you'll need to replace the socket, which should be relatively easy, and because T4x thinkpads are so legendarily popular that spares are readily available and affordable.

Also, the replacement of the jack will be covered in detail in the T4x Hardware Maintainance Manual, available from the lenovo site as a PDF.

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Thanks I had already downloaded that.

Managed to replace it but it took a few hours taking my time, no mishaps thank god :)
its annoying when you can see the part to replace but cant get into it !

Back
Top Bottom