• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Well i took the plunge!

Associate
Along with all the other components, i went for 2 x asus gtx 470s for some SLI fun :), order shipped today and arrives on monday, thinking of doing a build log, if not at the very least when its all build ill post some benches.

Hope i dont regret going over to the green team, but the idea of better driver support, higher minimum frame rates, and PhysX kinda swung me round to the green side.

Associate
OP
Are you going to be trying some Nvidia surround ? (or maybe even 3d vision surround)

gaming with 3 screens on them would be great :)

No 3d or surround or such thing's, just pure gaming on my 24 inch samsung 1920x1080 :), really getting excited about opening 20+ boxes :D, new toys ohhh yes!

Associate
OP
Make sure you overclock them.

Overclock them sandwiched together in sli on air cooling? they will be in an antec 1200 case mind you, so good airflow, with a side fan mounted also.

I dunno, you sure they can handle abit of a clock in that setup without going meltdown on me 0o?

Soldato
Yeah, the 470's won't melt your case like the 480's.:p just keep some nice cool air blowing over them and up the fan speed.

why? 2x 470's for 1 monitor should play everything max

Check the reviews out on the 470's when overclocked you get very substantial gains, it's worthwhile because games like metro need all the power your GPU can muster, as long as temps are not out of control and you can take the fan noise then overclock em.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, maby they would be ok with a not too OTT overclock, but as mentioned above i will be gaming on a single monitor at 1920x1080, do i even NEED to overlock? for benchmarks etc i can understand... but everyday use and gaming hmm im not convinced its worth the extra heat and electric bill 0o.

Associate
Good luck with the 470s mate. I said I would get a 480 once they went to sub £400...

unfortunately OCUK now have their own 480 for £393 in stock...

I have no money but really want one :(

Also do people think there will be a fermi refresh this year? (available to buy)
I am mainly getting a new PC for crysis 2 so I can give this one to my brother for video editing (he is starting out with an effects company.)

Soldato
Maybe it's just me, but I over overclock the hell out of all my GPU's. And you will see a definite increase in performance in some game that even 470 SLI will struggle to keep above 60FPS in.

Associate
OP
Im wondering tho, if my corsair hx 750 will cope with all this. In tests iv seen it remaining rock solid even at 900 watt load so i hope it will be alright, i did have the 850 watt model on order originally, but when i decided to go sli i was forced to make some sacrifices for £££ :), but the hx psu's being so good i thought i could get away with the 750 model.

Soldato
I have the HX750, will deal with overclocked 470's easily. I mean don't overclock unless you find some games perform poorly, as said if you're above 60FPS all the time overclocking is pointless.

Associate
OP
I have the HX750, will deal with overclocked 470's easily. I mean don't overclock unless you find some games perform poorly, as said if you're above 60FPS all the time overclocking is pointless.

hmmm thanks for that information, least i wont worry now about the power side of things before i even start buliding. And btw as we have been typing away i just noticed the new article over at guru3d http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-sli-review/ this has really made me get all excited like a kid at xmas :D

Associate
re:

Really pleased with my single 480 running on a 24inch monitor at 1900 by 1200 :)

GPU Idle temp only 35c to 40c, Playing BFBC2 between 70c and 80c.

I tend to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 in dx10 mode as from what I can see and what I have read its not really optimized that well for DX11 and its very hard to notice any quality difference, so no point waisting fps ;)

I have all settings on high with AA and anthropic on 4 and get a minimum of 140 fps and anything up to 200 fps so very happy indeed :)

Cheers
mrix

Back
Top Bottom