Build query

Associate
Hi folks,

I have a HD camcorder with lots of 1080p footage on it. Unfortunately my current system (detailed below) is unable to handle the playback of the video i.e. it stutters and stops then eventually crashes.

Taking into consideration my current build and the extra stuff I have are there any recommendations for what else I should get for a budget video editing PC using Pinnacle HD? Just some advice and a few pointers with regards to cost really. Wont be building anything for a while since we're looking to move house soon but any advice now would be helpful in making an overall decision.

If any of the above makes no sense or if further info is required, please let me know :)

Current system:

Processor - AMD X2 6400 (cant remember full details. Dont think its 64 bit :confused:)
Mobo - ASUS A8NSLi (2005)
Memory - 2GB CRUCIAL DDR
GFX - Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS
HDD - 2*250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue + 1*80GB Seagate Barracuda
Power - Enermax 450W
Cooling - Arctic Cooling 64

Extras/Newly acquired:

Processor - intel Core 2 vPro
Memory - 4*1GB Crucial DDR2
HDD - 2*250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

Soldato
If you have a socket 939 dual core it is still worth a lot second hand especially on the famous auction website. I assume you have the X2 4600+ and not the X2 6400+ as the latter is an AM2 CPU.

Also for video encoding an Athlon II X3 or Athlon II X4 would have been a far better choice.

A £60 X3 435 is faster than a 3GHZ E8400 for video encoding:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/112?vs=56

Associate
OP
Morning guys. Sorry for the late reply. I dont have the internet at the flat so have to wait till I get back into work.

@Wilko: I dont have a mobo for it yet mate. Any advice on a decent one for a reasonable price?

@Cat: Hiya mate, yes sorry my current Athlon is a socket 939 dual core processor (X2 4600+).

I was always under the impression that Intel processors would be better for video encoding :confused:. Oh well.

I got the E8400 for free from work. We had a HP PC which went pop and they wont take it back under warranty so I asked the boss if I could cannibalise it for parts and keep them. As a result I took out the chip and tested it and it seems fine. The hard drive is dead but the RAM chips seem to be fine.

What is it in my current rig that cannot handle the high def video playback? CPU, HDD, memory or all three?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom