Nice time lapse video of that volcano!

Soldato
You could do it without any equipment, if you say a digital photo is at least 4000x3000 pixels and HD video is 1920x1080 pixels you could easily pan across the photographs in any type of editing package to give the effect of movement. Although in this video I think the camera is actually on some kind of rail.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
You could do it without any equipment, if you say a digital photo is at least 4000x3000 pixels and HD video is 1920x1080 pixels you could easily pan across the photographs in any type of editing package to give the effect of movement. Although in this video I think the camera is actually on some kind of rail.

The shots through the fence near the beginning clearly show the camera is moving as the foreground and background move at different rates. You'd lose some of the feeling of movement by cunning cropping to create the pan.

Soldato
OP
if you check out his vimeo stream there's another time lapse of yosemite (Ansel Adams country) and in the description he says something along the lines of new camera, head, technique...

Caporegime
I'd suggest at least a couple of the pans are probably using something like a gorillapod attached to a car. Move the car slightly between shots and done. No extra equipment.

Either way his work is stunning. I've wanted to get into it for a while (even done a couple of low resolution ones) but hate the idea of destroying the shutter as well as using all the battery and storage in an hour. :p

At the moment I use startrails.de software for the two I did, ony problem is they will only do SD quality and just attach the photos, no possibility of panning across.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wanna try, would use some tethering software I reckon and some movement rig. Not sure of any details like how, when or where!

Ohh and would combine it with a self written music track to complete it all off!

Soldato
on the page with the video at the bottom it says

"HUGE thanks for the Motorized Dolly via MILapse (vimeo.com/milapse). Details are to come soon so stay tuned..."

great vid

Persil

Soldato
How often do you need to take a picture to get a good effect?

One every 10 seconds, minute, hour?

Erm, it depends how fast your subject is moving, and for how long, and how long you want the video to be? It's the exact same principle as slow motion, but reversed.

A minute's video is about 1440 frames (60s @ 24fps), so split that across the duration of the event.

Back
Top Bottom