Freenas

Associate
Am trying to set up a cobbled together sever, what I am wanting is just somewhere I can either backup to or have it auto create a backup of certain files from my main machine, act as a media store and I think thats about it.

Hardwarewise I have a 1TB wd gree a Samsung 2tb green disk and a Intel D945GUCLF2.

Reading up on a few forum everyone seems to reccomend freenas, so I duly downloaded made an install disk and tried to install it, this is where the problems start. It appears to be going through the process of id'ng hardware, etc, etc but after a few minutes the screen goes blank, it's as though the monitor looses connection. Pressing a key on the keyboard the screen comes back on but goes to like a console where you can type - the way I understood it is that it should come up with a menu system and install options, etc, etc. So what am I doing wrong? This is the file I downloaded reeNAS-i386-LiveCD-0.7.1.5127.iso and then burnt the iso to disk.

what other software could I use to do what I have mentioned above, ideally free. Am totally new to Linux.

regards,

Matt

Associate
OP
Have just downloaded Fedorra 12 and tried this, this also fails to load but gives the message:

[drm:drm_mode_rmfb] *error* tried to remove a fb that we didn't own boot has failed, sleeping forever

It starts to boot and gives a blue screen, but then fails.

Anyone got a clue as to what it all means?

regards,

Matt

Associate
OP
Annoying thing is Feddora 11 is recognised, just 12 fails. Will try 13 and see where that leads me.

Alternatively is there anything I can do to get Freenas working with the graphics on this board?

regards,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom